Fiat Ducato suspension

Shandyhaggis replied on 25/08/2022 12:27

Posted on 25/08/2022 12:27

Dear all

Im hope your enjoying the holiday season and the good weather we've been having.  Apart from today! Its raining here but I wont complain as the garden needs it!

I have a fiat ducato (6.4 m) Globe Car PVC.  When I ordered it I ticked the box that offered a suspension upgrade. It wasn't an expensive option and I just thought it would be sensible given the weight of the vehicle being nearly 3.5t to have it.  

However its turing out to be very crashy and I wondered if anyone had any experience of the standard ducato suspension vs the uprated suspension. I was thinking of getting it converted back with the hope it gives a more comfortable ride?

I don't really want to go down the route of air suspension (although Im sure my wife would love the idea) but I'd be happy to hear your views / experience of various set ups.

Best

Andrew

Tinwheeler replied on 25/08/2022 12:44

Posted on 25/08/2022 12:44

Are you sure the 'crashy' feeling is caused by the suspension? We have the standard L1 (5m) Ducato and found the ride very harsh but it has camper tyres which are supposed to be inflated to a higher pressure than standard tyres. Reducing the pressure has helped considerably but the ride is still harder than our previous L2 which was fitted with air suspension. I’m not suggesting you run your tyres at an unsafe low pressure but tyres are a factor to consider as is the fact that Auto Sleeper see a need to fit air assisted suspension as standard.

Btw, you can choose your own username via My Profile at the head of the page.

JVB66 replied on 25/08/2022 13:25

Posted on 25/08/2022 13:25

The suspension systems on Sevel built base vehicles seems to have got harsher with each model change and as you have opted for the upgrade in the suspension it will be even harsher when not fully loaded

Remember most white can man base vehicles are expected to be well loaded most of their working lives

JVB66 replied on 25/08/2022 13:57

Posted on 25/08/2022 13:29 by Tinwheeler

MHs tend to be almost fully loaded at all times due to the weight of the conversion.

Posted on 25/08/2022 13:57

Really?so how come they have it seems large amounts of spare weight capacity 🤔 and the OP has PVC? with upgraded suspension (harder unless fully loadedsurprised

Tinwheeler replied on 25/08/2022 14:13

Posted on 25/08/2022 13:57 by JVB66

Really?so how come they have it seems large amounts of spare weight capacity 🤔 and the OP has PVC? with upgraded suspension (harder unless fully loadedsurprised

Posted on 25/08/2022 14:13

Large amounts? Perhaps 500kg which is why I said "almost fully loaded".

Yes, I know the OP has a PVC which will always be either almost fully loaded or fully loaded. I don’t see your point, tbh, as you seem to be reiterating words and that isn’t helping the OP.

I'm afraid the figures relating to your older Boxer built on a different chassis have no bearing on the matter of the OP's suspension on his new Ducato.

Lukeledge replied on 26/08/2022 09:16

Posted on 26/08/2022 09:16

We have a 2016 Ducato MH with standard suspension, (2800kg unladen, 3500kg max)

The suspension is quite stiff making it a wee bit harsh on rough roads, but it also doesn't sway on corners, making it pretty good to drive. I have driven Mercedes vans where the soft suspension makes cornering interesting!

I looked at recommended tyre pressures from tyre manufacturers for the weight of van and run them at 65psi, which is quite a bit lower then the figures on the van and improves the harshness a bit.

Tinwheeler replied on 26/08/2022 09:25

Posted on 26/08/2022 09:25

That's much the same as us, LL. Ours is 2021 and can be very harsh with the tyres inflated further. The difference between this van and the last which had different tyres and air suspension is very noticeable.

KeefySher replied on 26/08/2022 16:58

Posted on 26/08/2022 16:58

We are looking toward a PVC (Adria Twin Sport / Malibu currently catch our eye) as we approach retirement and watch a fair few YouTube posters.  There appears a trend to change wheels and tyres from factory fitted to  alloy with all terrain tyres  that run at much lower pressures (IIRC 45psi) than the OEM set up at 65psi+. Said posters mention a better ride.

JVB66 replied on 26/08/2022 17:25

Posted on 25/08/2022 14:13 by Tinwheeler

Large amounts? Perhaps 500kg which is why I said "almost fully loaded".

Yes, I know the OP has a PVC which will always be either almost fully loaded or fully loaded. I don’t see your point, tbh, as you seem to be reiterating words and that isn’t helping the OP.

I'm afraid the figures relating to your older Boxer built on a different chassis have no bearing on the matter of the OP's suspension on his new Ducato.

Posted on 26/08/2022 17:25

Not so different chassis  just upgraded for the later and even more so for the very latest

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook