Faults on EHU lead

Freedom a whitebox replied on 26/06/2018 15:26

Posted on 26/06/2018 15:26

I have two orange hook up leads. One long 25m and a short one 9m.

The short one is the one that I normally find is just right for most sites.

I am just back from Northbrook site and have spent a couple of hours checking and remaking the plug connections. 

The pitch I was on retired the longer lead to repack the Ballard. Plugged it into the van, connected up to the Ballard and turned the fridge over to electric. 

Continued to set up as usual. 

When I’d finished I plugged the kettle in (low wattage caravan model) and noticed the alde control was off, so switched it on. This tripped the power.

Checked caravan fuse box and everything was still on. Went to Ballard and trip had gone. Reset and returned to caravan. Plugged in a martingale and noticed that the line and neutral were reversed. Now I know there will be some that will say that I should’ve corrected it there and then, but as the caravan has a RCD as the main incomer and double-pole MCB (breakers) for circuit protection, I decided to leave it. None of the caravan sockets are switched and Earth was good. Any short to earth would’ve tripped the RCD

On checking the setting on the Alde, I found that the load monitor was not set and I had simply overloaded the supply. 

On inspection of the long lead, I discovered that the line and neutral on the plug were reversed. I also discovered that the line on the socket end wasn’t actually being gripped by the screw and although the screw was tight, the cable was just wedged up against it.  

I have had this cable from new and wound it straight onto a cable tidy. And has only been used a handful of times. 

My point is, this is how it came. It should’ve been tested by the manufacturer!

The faults were on it since it was made.  

I regularly test the caravan at home with the martingale, but only use the smaller lead. Next time I do, I Will make a point of plugging in the longer one as well.

hitchglitch replied on 26/06/2018 22:00

Posted on 26/06/2018 22:00

If the lead, plug and socket were purchased as a unit then that is extremely shoddy and the fact that live and neutral are reversed is totally unacceptable. Agree that reversed polarity is not the danger that it could have been in the past (due to double pole breakers, rcd etc.j but  even so it should never be sold like that. Sounds like a cheap import and should be reported to Trading Standards.

Freedom a whitebox replied on 27/06/2018 16:06

Posted on 27/06/2018 16:06

The cable is over three years old. It was one of two that I purchased from different retailers. 

What I wonder is how many more cables are there out there that haven’t been tested and won’t be unless a fault occurs. The consequence might not be as minor as mine has.

Me not testing mine was just an oversight as the shorter one gets tested  at home.

it did get a visual check on the occasions I had used it, but from the outside it looked fine.

lornalou1 replied on 27/06/2018 16:28

Posted on 27/06/2018 16:28

you have used this cable in the past with no problem so if tested by manufacturer they may have had no problem. One small tug could have pulled the cable out slightly when winding onto drum. when you buy a new electrical item do you remove the fuse to make sure its rated correctly. these thing happen and you found the fault so well done. laughing

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook