E-toll

eurortraveller replied on 29/08/2022 16:21

Posted on 29/08/2022 16:21

I only have one of the common windscreen tags for tolls on French motorways but have a look at the Bip and Go website and see if that meets your needs for Italy as well as France.

JimE replied on 30/08/2022 16:52

Posted on 30/08/2022 16:52

We drove to Sicily earlier this year, down via the Adriatic Coast and back north via the Med coast.  We used an Emovis Tag for France, the Via App for the Swiss motorway pass but, for Italy including Sicily, we just used our Mastercard from Halifax.

Italian Motorways don't have anything like as many toll barriers as the ones in France.  On one occasion down near Foggia, we drove for the best part of a day before encountering a toll booth.

Dave Nicholson replied on 30/08/2022 20:18

Posted on 30/08/2022 20:18

We use an Emovis tag for France and a Telepass tag from Toll Tickets for Italy. Both are very easy to use and pay for. If you’re going very far in Italy I’d definitely recommend the Telepass tag. Order the tag via the Toll Tickets website and it will be with you in a few days. Without a tag the Italian toll booths can cause you long delays at busy times. The Telepass tag can also be used in many car parks in Italy and where as the French toll booths require you to approach them relatively slowly, in typical Italian style you can drive through dedicated booths at 60mph with a Telepass tag!!

eribaMotters replied on 30/08/2022 22:01

Posted on 30/08/2022 22:01

My question has to be, do you need to use the Tolls? I'm not saying don't, I'm just asking are you aware of the high costs and in some cases little time advantage.

Some years ago I realised I could save over 40 Euros in tolls [with a caravan] by being selective on the route from Calais to The Dordogne and increase my journey time by only 1/2 an hour or so. I still had access to Aires and the advantage of fuel at supermarket and not motorway costs. 

Have a look at the viamichelin website and put in via points to avoid some tolls. You may have a surprise.

Colin

Dave Nicholson replied on 03/09/2022 15:44

Posted on 03/09/2022 15:44

As EB says, you can avoid tolls in France, although we’ve found it tedious when travelling a long way in France so we tend to drive through Belgium and Luxemburg these days (the Belgium motorway surfaces have improved in the last few years) but Italian motorways are no where near as expensive as those in France. It is of course possible to avoid Italian motorways but the alternatives are often slow and convoluted. 

Tammygirl replied on 03/09/2022 18:05

Posted on 30/08/2022 20:18 by Dave Nicholson

We use an Emovis tag for France and a Telepass tag from Toll Tickets for Italy. Both are very easy to use and pay for. If you’re going very far in Italy I’d definitely recommend the Telepass tag. Order the tag via the Toll Tickets website and it will be with you in a few days. Without a tag the Italian toll booths can cause you long delays at busy times. The Telepass tag can also be used in many car parks in Italy and where as the French toll booths require you to approach them relatively slowly, in typical Italian style you can drive through dedicated booths at 60mph with a Telepass tag!!

Posted on 03/09/2022 18:05

Thanks for the info I will look into that for next year. 

RedKite replied on 03/09/2022 20:57

Posted on 03/09/2022 20:57

We have just changed our Emovis UK toll tag to the French system as it is the same company called bip and go and it covers France, Spain, Portugal and Italy  which we were surprised as we will use it mostly in France as we finding long distance travelling quite tiring now must be an age thing.

Hope this helps.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook