Door safety locks - dog/childproof

Pippah45 replied on 06/07/2018 15:13

Posted on 06/07/2018 15:13

Some years ago when I took this rescued dog on her first caravan trip she terrified the life out of me by opening the caravan door when I had just popped to the car for something I suddenly saw her galloping off towards the A66!  I had no idea that caravan (and Motor Home?) doors could be opened from the inside when locked.  I raised the point at the time as children could be vulnerable as well as clever dogs.  I rectified the problem by putting a Fiamma grab rail on the outside which I draw across on the fairly rare occasions I leave the dogs alone.  Now the dog is happy in the caravan she hasn't tried to escape for a while but if someone knocked at the door and I wasn't there she would easily jump on the handle (she does it at home and lets herself in which can be useful). 

So at the time someone told me about - I think some grandparents whose charge had let himself out and gone walkabout and they had designed a cover for the lock to prevent this happening.  Does anyone know/remember what it was called?  My new caravan can't take the Fiamma handle so I need something.  It's annoying as I find the handle useful for me negotiating the step especially when parked on a slope as I was recently - big step down!  Interestingly the caravan salesman didn't realise this could happen until he failed to lock me in the caravan to demonstrate! 

Tinwheeler replied on 06/07/2018 15:17

Posted on 06/07/2018 15:17

Sorry, I can’t help, Pippah, but I’m shocked a salesman didn’t know it’s designed to allow easy exit in the case of an emergency. There again, I suppose nothing surprises me about LV salesmen and dealers.🙄

Pippah45 replied on 06/07/2018 15:48

Posted on 06/07/2018 15:48

I daresay we all live and learn (hopefully!)  He was actually the Manager of the Dealership!  I am not convinced the fiamma handle can't be fitted but possibly it would invalidate the warranty - any excuse eh?  frown

They are looking at fitting the external Fiamma lock for me but I shall certainly miss the handle for my own safety - have to get steps with one I suppose. 

Pippah45 replied on 06/07/2018 21:44

Posted on 06/07/2018 21:44

I put this Post in Caravan and Motorhome Chat on purpose because it might be a VERY IMPORTANT issue for people who caravan/mh with children or grandkids.  Why has it been moved without mention?  It is of course a spare part or accessory but it is also an important safety warning. 

DavidKlyne replied on 06/07/2018 22:28

Posted on 06/07/2018 21:44 by Pippah45

I put this Post in Caravan and Motorhome Chat on purpose because it might be a VERY IMPORTANT issue for people who caravan/mh with children or grandkids.  Why has it been moved without mention?  It is of course a spare part or accessory but it is also an important safety warning. 

Posted on 06/07/2018 22:28

Pippah

I don't know who moved your post but given that you seem to be seeking an accessory for the door I can understand why it was moved. A moderator would not easily decide that the main point of your post was more a warning than a request for a fix to the problem? By all means submit another post dealing only with the safety side. 

David

replied on 06/07/2018 22:32

Posted on 06/07/2018 22:32

However a moderator could just as easily move this post David

Pippah45 replied on 07/07/2018 10:10

Posted on 07/07/2018 10:10

True I was/am seeking advice as well as it being a warning.  I haven't started caravanning with my grandson yet but at least I am aware of the potential danger.  It isn't something that would have crossed my mind until that fateful incident.  

Pippah45 replied on 07/07/2018 10:58

Posted on 07/07/2018 10:58

I have just spoken to my handy neighbour and he seems to think his 3D printer can produce a cover so I will report back if no one else comes up  with an answer.  

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook