Dog and bike friendly sites

Gench replied on 08/10/2021 23:39

Posted on 08/10/2021 23:39

Hey All

We’re new members in an 8.2 m motor home with emtbs and three well behaved golden retrievers. We’ve tried a local site but don’t want the dogs to have to be tied up all day and are looking for some pitches countrywide that will enable us to cycle out direct from the site and be able to let the dogs have a run alongside us.  If there was a forest or a beach and a pub involved that would be ideal ! I realise club rules require dogs to be on a lead but just wondered if there are any like minded souls out there  who could steer us in the right direction ? Many thanks and happy touring. 

peedee replied on 09/10/2021 08:18

Posted on 09/10/2021 08:18

You could check out the traffic free routes on the Sustrans web site and if you see something you like, look for nearby sites.

peedee

52doris replied on 09/10/2021 08:47

Posted on 09/10/2021 08:47

Try Ferry Meadows in the middle of a 500 acre park 

vbfg replied on 09/10/2021 08:50

Posted on 09/10/2021 08:50

They could Peedee, but many cyclists don't like dogs, especially those not on leads!  I am a dog owner and a cyclist so have a leg in both camps and am just pointing out what problems may be encountered.

eurortraveller replied on 09/10/2021 09:08

Posted on 09/10/2021 09:08

Lydford Caravan Site Devon - cycling and dog run on the Granite Way ex railway track across the edge of Dartmoor. But are your dogs safe with sheep?

To the south you have Drakes Trail  - 20 miles from Tavistock to Plymouth and five sites around Tavistock to choose from. To the north theTarka trail in north Devon with more sites up there. The choice is wide. Use the Search for Sites or PitchUp websites.

But be aware some campsites  have limits of just one or two dogs

brue replied on 09/10/2021 09:17

Posted on 09/10/2021 09:17

The New Forest sites are good, particularly Black Knowl but you'd need to have the dogs under control due to roaming animals.Cycle tracks are so popular that it's difficult to think of a dog safe one too. We used to take our dogs in a cycle trailer.

JVB66 replied on 09/10/2021 09:47

Posted on 09/10/2021 09:47

Ferry Meadows is ideal for what you are looking for  there are plenty of cycle/dog walking paths ,away from the main visitor areas ,that as long as you can control the dogs ,will be quite nice to use

,we have used FM site since the early 1980s in the past on our cycles and all our collies have been off the lead ,even now with the park being used more there are places when we have not seen anyone else or very few  ,

Takethedogalong replied on 09/10/2021 11:46

Posted on 09/10/2021 11:46

Might be worth considering just how fit in terms of constant running your retrievers are before booking something. Long sustained running alongside a bike isn’t for all breeds. I mention it because we tried it with our very young and fit Labrador, and he got quite distressed after a couple of miles of running alongside, it was something we didn’t try again. However, you know your own dogs of course.

Nene Park nice, but not all dogs are bike friendly, and we found some owners a PITA in terms of control. Great if it’s not busy though. 

There are some superb cycle routes in Peak District, Tissington Trail, Monsal Dale etc.... lots of CLs here. We use a nice CL near Cromford to Cycle canal and beyond. Dog Friendly, Splash Farm.

I think this time of year, you might have to look beyond Club Sites, not that many stay open.

JVB66 replied on 09/10/2021 14:05

Posted on 09/10/2021 11:46 by Takethedogalong

Might be worth considering just how fit in terms of constant running your retrievers are before booking something. Long sustained running alongside a bike isn’t for all breeds. I mention it because we tried it with our very young and fit Labrador, and he got quite distressed after a couple of miles of running alongside, it was something we didn’t try again. However, you know your own dogs of course.

Nene Park nice, but not all dogs are bike friendly, and we found some owners a PITA in terms of control. Great if it’s not busy though. 

There are some superb cycle routes in Peak District, Tissington Trail, Monsal Dale etc.... lots of CLs here. We use a nice CL near Cromford to Cycle canal and beyond. Dog Friendly, Splash Farm.

I think this time of year, you might have to look beyond Club Sites, not that many stay open.

Posted on 09/10/2021 14:05

Any of the trails in the peak district will have the same if not more problems with cyclists  do they not think that when aproaching from the rear some walkers may not have the sort of hearing to hear a pin dropundecided

Just today on two occasions cyclists had to brake hard  to avoid hitting me and OH on her buggy, as we had no idea they were approaching from behind at speed yell

Takethedogalong replied on 09/10/2021 14:46

Posted on 09/10/2021 14:46

Yes it’s a problem wherever you ride. I do my best when on busy paths not to frighten anyone, or make them jump, as I don’t like it myself. I use my bike bell, say hello, if I can. However, it’s a problem with anyone hard of hearing, or my own favourite, the phone or music zombie, who are also usually unaware of other users. The only thing you can hope is that they don’t require the whole width of the path (a lot do), and they try to be aware of what’s going on around them, and don’t walk more than two abreast. I have been knocked off my bike three times so far by other path users, twice by someone suddenly stopping dead in front of me, and once by a child running across me. Dogs on long leads are a ruddy nuisance. I’d rather a dog wasn’t on a lead than try to dodge some prat with their dog five metres away on a line. I haven’t learned to hurdle leads on my bike yet😡 Everyone using a shared discipline path needs to respect other users. Pedestrians have right of way as far as I am concerned.

You could consider rear view mirrors for your OH, on end of handles. Might help a bit. No excuse for riders to zoom past at high speed, that’s bad manners👍

vbfg replied on 09/10/2021 15:01

Posted on 09/10/2021 14:05 by JVB66

Any of the trails in the peak district will have the same if not more problems with cyclists  do they not think that when aproaching from the rear some walkers may not have the sort of hearing to hear a pin dropundecided

Just today on two occasions cyclists had to brake hard  to avoid hitting me and OH on her buggy, as we had no idea they were approaching from behind at speed yell

Posted on 09/10/2021 15:01

One has to wonder why they don't slow down and/or use a bell if they see someone in front of them. I always do and I don't consider it a great inconvenience. Those who do consider it too much of an inconvenience, should not be using a cycle.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook