Diesel / petrol banned by 2040 what do we do then

DreamMachine replied on 14/07/2017 17:57

Posted on 14/07/2017 17:57

the government has annouced the banning of all new diesel & petrol cars by 2040 !

so what do we do for tow cars after then -  or Motorhomes for that matter ?

I can't see how electric cars are going to be upto the job so is it back to using horses ?

yell

Metheven replied on 26/07/2017 09:36

Posted on 26/07/2017 09:36

Too many have car ownership, need a crackdown on the population with a household limit (2) and flat dwellers banned outright, along with licence being revoked when reaching the age of 50.

Sounds like a plan.innocent

Oh and if you have a M/H and can't judge the grey waste point on site, then on your bike. That'll get rid of a few wink

Metheven replied on 26/07/2017 09:42

Posted on 26/07/2017 09:22 by eurortraveller

There are 31 million cars in the UK. How many street side charging points is it going to need? One outside every house?  And what about people who live in flats? 

Posted on 26/07/2017 09:42

Simple maths tells me the answer would be 31 million, and where do people who live in flats park their cars now? probably a suitable place to put the charging point

Boff replied on 26/07/2017 09:59

Posted on 26/07/2017 09:22 by eurortraveller

There are 31 million cars in the UK. How many street side charging points is it going to need? One outside every house?  And what about people who live in flats? 

Posted on 26/07/2017 09:59

How many charging points? Answer lots.  But you would get similar objections  in 1900 if it was suggested that every house in the country would be connected to an electricity supply.   It will come because the alternatives are worse. 

However it will take leadership at a national level and let's face it.  The last few national administrations have been to leadership, what British caravan industry has been to quality control.  All talk. 

eurortraveller replied on 26/07/2017 10:06

Posted on 26/07/2017 10:06

Last month the government said they couldn't afford to electrify the railway down here to to the south west, but they were going to get some new diesel trains for us. And today they say we have got to get rid of our diesel cars... 

Briang replied on 26/07/2017 10:16

Posted on 26/07/2017 10:16

How many lorries are there on the roads.? How will we move livestock farming equipment etc.? White van man for your orders off the internet etc,? plus all the older vehicles just look at the cost of the hybrid cars not cheap, Taxi's on the road 24 hours a day wheres the charging points around every corner. Will you be able to tow your caravan to the France or Spain and how long will it take you.? I can't see this happening.

Tammygirl replied on 26/07/2017 10:35

Posted on 26/07/2017 10:35

On the funny side (my sense of humor) how are the police going to do high speed chases down the motorway. Can you just see them running out of power before they get their man laughinglaughinglaughing

Merve replied on 26/07/2017 11:04

Posted on 26/07/2017 07:55 by Boff

Looking on the bright side the amount of money poured into battery research.  Is surely going to results in more powerful, lighter and cheaper batteries.   Great for off grid and of course the power cuts when demand for electricity exceeds supply when everyone is charging up their cars.  

Posted on 26/07/2017 11:04

Yes Boff, I was only reading the other day the collaboration between American and Chinese scientists and technologists to develop the sodium battery. Apparently there are a few hurdles but it's looking very promising whatever that means- No shortage of power there- sodium = salt = if they can crack it, it should be plentiful.

GTP replied on 26/07/2017 11:19

Posted on 14/07/2017 17:57 by DreamMachine

the government has annouced the banning of all new diesel & petrol cars by 2040 !

so what do we do for tow cars after then -  or Motorhomes for that matter ?

I can't see how electric cars are going to be upto the job so is it back to using horses ?

yell

Posted on 26/07/2017 11:19

In terms of technology , 2040 will have brought in massive leaps in every aspect of our daily life.....our leaders may have even eradicated poverty.(wouldn't that be something !!). I would suggest that even the modern electric car will have been replaced with the up coming Hydrogen cell powered car by 2025...or perhaps even Nuclear cell power. I was at a shopping complex near to Saint Hilaire-de-Riez a couple of weeks ago where in one of the malls a company was showing both their new electric and hydrogen engines....the latter, I was assured, would comfortably tow a 1600kg caravan for 250/300 miles before a refill...Plus both engines conform to the Green Crit-Air badge certificate

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook