Caravan insurance

charlie25 replied on 08/06/2018 17:51

Posted on 08/06/2018 17:51

i have just rung the Caravan club as my caravan insurance is due in July and I wondered what the price would be. My caravan is now five years old so I asked for a market value insurance and a new for old policy. Considering whether to shop around for quotes but Caravan Club has good reviews for when you claim on the policy.

JVB66 replied on 08/06/2018 17:58

Posted on 08/06/2018 17:58

You can always get it "cheaper?" but then is the service as good,we have had good results when (thankfully few) times when neededsmile

Ps there will be some along soon to say otherwise,but that is life, and probably not give the full factsundecided

Oneputt replied on 08/06/2018 18:34

Posted on 08/06/2018 18:34

I renewed with the club just yesterday and had IMO a very good deal so only did a cursory check with other insurers all of which were more expensive.

Cornersteady replied on 08/06/2018 20:14

Posted on 08/06/2018 18:34 by Oneputt

I renewed with the club just yesterday and had IMO a very good deal so only did a cursory check with other insurers all of which were more expensive.

Posted on 08/06/2018 20:14

+1, well actually it was Tuesday I renewed on, but a good price comapared to others.

I also changed from standard to super as it is now five years old which gives new for old, That was just an extra £5 per month

BenRomach replied on 11/06/2018 08:28

Posted on 11/06/2018 08:28

I am just renewing mine with Caravan Club but am doing a more detailed review than normal when renewing. One aspect which I am struggling with is Contents since some items we take are covered by our Household Insurance as 'Personal possessions away from home'. I would be interested in others experience and the sort of amounts people consider as appropriate under their caravan insurance policy.

Our van is also more than 5 years old but have decided to continue with standard cover

Lyke Wake Man replied on 17/06/2018 18:20

Posted on 17/06/2018 18:20

ref: MollysMummy, expect the phone to ring if you use comparison sites, when I do insurance quotes  I put down the number of the local pay phone box, that caps them

flatcoat replied on 18/06/2018 20:40

Posted on 18/06/2018 20:40

I give the local chinese take away..... however i do not insure with the Club for 3 principal reasons. They require 2 Alko wheel locks, will not cover for farm storage and are flipping expensive. I have new for old  , covered for farm storage, only require one wheel lock (and hitch lock). 

NickyKnix replied on 19/06/2018 15:44

Posted on 19/06/2018 15:44

Hi charlie25 and others.

I love the fact that some of you are giving call box and Chinese take away phone numbers when on comparison websites etc.  SO funny!

flatcoat, on a twin axle caravan, in order to get the 15% discount for the Al-ko wheel locks, both would need to be fitted to the caravan at all times when unhitched.

However, when touring and on sites, you are permitted to use only one Al-ko or Winterhoff wheel lock, providing the other axle is secured by another wheel clamp or lock of some description.

With regard to the farm storage, we do not mind where you are keeping the caravan, provided it is protected against theft and damage.  Therefore, we would cover the caravan, even if kept at your home address or in a farmer's field.

In order to meet the terms of our security condition, we ask for at least one security device to be fitted at all times the caravan is unhitched.

If there were a theft of attempted theft and no anti-theft device were fitted (wheel clamp or hitch lock), we could decline to pay the claim.  A lot of other companies would insist on more than one security device.

JTLT replied on 31/07/2018 13:19

Posted on 31/07/2018 13:19

Just replied on another thread, but happy to know you all got a good deal, ours was not so good, lower cover with higher premium than the other club.  On hold for over half an hour and then treated like an idiot when someone answered.  I was so unimpressed I've actually bothered to post about it.  

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook