Caravan Heated Towel Warmer

MaxHeadroom replied on 23/03/2017 17:26

Posted on 23/03/2017 17:26

Hi, we've just bought a new Swift Caravan based on the 560 layout (mid bathroom) and would like to have a electric heated towel warmer installed in the bathroom. There are two that I'm looking at - one wall mounted and the other side-mounted.

Wall Mounted (the 3rd picture in the list shows the wall mounted version)

Side Mounted 

Although the caravan retailer will be fitting the towel warmer are there any restrictions in mounting the wall version or would this be too heavy or unadvisable on the wall of the caravan. I'm not sure what the latest advances in the Swift side walls allow you to do.

The side-mounted version could attach to a suitable point either side between the shower and the bedroom enterance.

As I am supplying the towel warmer I thought I'd seek advice on the most appropriate model to provide to my retailer.

Regards, Andy.

Tinwheeler replied on 23/03/2017 17:44

Posted on 23/03/2017 17:44

You don't say if it's an internal wall you'll be mounting the warmer on. Internal walls tend to be flimsy and may not bear the weight of the appliance. There again, mounting on an exterior wall can be a risky thing to do in view of damage to insulation and the chance of water ingress.

In 45 years of vanning we've not yet felt the need for such a device and I would think long and hard before installing one. 

MaxHeadroom replied on 23/03/2017 18:04

Posted on 23/03/2017 18:04

Hi, it's the exterior wall and that was partly my point about suitability on an exterior wall.

We currently have a towel warmer (the wall mounted version above but freestanding (with feet on) in our old caravan and it's great to have nice warm dry towels in the morning when you've had a shower so would fully recommend it laughing

Regards,

Andy.

Navigateur replied on 23/03/2017 18:11

Posted on 23/03/2017 18:11

I have a towel rail fitted to the outside wall. No problems in three years, I was just carefull when I fitted it.

It does keep a slight heat going in the night when the noisey fan in the blown air unit is off, and the towels are lovely warm when I hand them to my girlfriend in the shower.

MaxHeadroom replied on 23/03/2017 19:10

Posted on 23/03/2017 19:10

Good point, best get a bigger towel rail and a couple of extra towels wink

Although I'm a keen DIY'er I want the retailer to install it so that it complies with best practice and I don't have to start carving up my shiny new van.

Tinwheeler replied on 23/03/2017 19:10

Posted on 23/03/2017 18:04 by MaxHeadroom

Hi, it's the exterior wall and that was partly my point about suitability on an exterior wall.

We currently have a towel warmer (the wall mounted version above but freestanding (with feet on) in our old caravan and it's great to have nice warm dry towels in the morning when you've had a shower so would fully recommend it laughing

Regards,

Andy.

Posted on 23/03/2017 19:10

Each to their own, Andy. Personally I'd rather not risk damaging the integrity of the wall but only someone who understands the construction of the van will be able to advise on the suitability of your chosen heaters. 

Simon100 replied on 23/03/2017 20:55

Posted on 23/03/2017 20:55

I am dubious about the outside wall due to the weight of the towel rail but I have installed similar to the internal walls of my caravans. I used various bolts and backing plates to ensure the towel rail was secure.

There are other models available, which might more easily fit an internal wall, if you search on Google.

I find a towel rail invaluable to warm towels and give a bit of warmth to the bathroom overnight

EmilysDad replied on 23/03/2017 22:04

Posted on 23/03/2017 22:04

The heated towel rail in my Coachman is part of the Alde heating .... it's simply screwed to the wall board using chrome pipe fittings

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook