Bradford Clean Air Zone Motorhome confusion

Ramsons replied on 31/07/2023 10:37

Posted on 31/07/2023 10:37

I've been clobbered with a penalty for driving through Bradford's Clean Air Zone. Bradford's website says:

Motor caravans (M1) Class L vehicles registered with a type approval of Class M1 (motorhome body type) Vehicles both in and outside the district will have this exemption in the Bradford CAZ.
This exemption it is automatically applied based on your vehicle tax class. You do not need to apply.

My V5C says: D5: Body type Motor Caravan.
So I've filled in their online form to claim that exemption. I also visited the clean air checker at .gov.uk, which says our van should pay, asking the DVLA if this is due to incomplete data there. DVLA say they'll reply within a day(?!), but Bradford's automated response say's they can take up to 56 days. My worry is that I have 10 days left to pay the discounted fine of £60, the full whack being £120.
I'm supportive of clean air zones, but Bradford's site is misleading, the zone extends way out to Shipley, and I was only there due to a diversion from the A65. So we were looking for diversion signs, not CAZ notices.
So if you have a pre Euro6 van, best check you route, and err on the side of caution, better to pay the charge unneccesarily than get a fine.

Takethedogalong replied on 31/07/2023 12:14

Posted on 31/07/2023 12:14

Thank you for mentioning this, I hadn’t realised Bradford’s CAZ had gone live. Another place we shall have to avoid enroute. Good luck with getting sorted.

mickysf replied on 31/07/2023 13:13

Posted on 31/07/2023 13:13

Thanks for the heads up. Like you I’m in favour of CAZs but we really need clarity and direction in order to comply. Recently visited central London in an electric car and was very impressed by the noticeable air quality for pedestrians and the lack of congestion. Last time I went there was 30 years ago and it was truly dreadful.👍

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook