Bessacarr E495 rear wheels

MontyD replied on 23/05/2018 08:15

Posted on 23/05/2018 08:15

Can anyone tell me how to remove and refit the rear wheels of a Bessacarr E495? Is there a trick? I have found there is too little clearance between the tyre and the body work valance.

Tinwheeler replied on 23/05/2018 14:04

Posted on 23/05/2018 14:04

Hi, Monty. It’s a fairly common phenomenon. 

The van needs to be jacked high enough for the wheel to drop a few inches after pulling it clear of the hub. Then pull the bottom of the wheel towards you before pulling it clear of the vehicle. A large trolley jack is best for this. Alternatively, let the air out of the tyre first.

If you are using a small screw jack, or hydraulic jack, drive the wheel up a wedge and put chocks under the opposite side wheels to stop the vehicle moving before jacking. If boards are used to raise the base of the jack, less lift is needed which reduces the amount of jacking required and provides a more stable platform for the jack. Replace the wedge under the wheel before lowering the jack. 

This worked for me on a Bessie E795 and an Autosleeper on a Merc which proved far more difficult than the Bessacarr.

MontyD replied on 28/05/2018 17:24

Posted on 28/05/2018 17:24

Thank you Tinwheeler for your comments. I suspected that letting the air out of the tyres would be the answer, I think you have confirmed my suspicions. I will have to invest in one of those electric tyre inflators! I need to adjust my handbrake at some point during the summer.

beero replied on 28/05/2018 23:34

Posted on 28/05/2018 23:34

I find it hard to believe Bessacarr have designed a vehicle that requires you to let the air out of a tyre to change a wheel. Do you have complex rear suspension like self levelling or air suspension that may be complicating matters?

Maybe you have an anti-roll bar on the back which is not allowing the wheel to drop on one side alone. Try jacking up on the rear chassis on both sides at the same time and see if the wheels come down further. I wouldn't like to try this with bottle jacks though. I suggest you go to your local tyre depot and get them to use two trolley jacks. If you explain the problem to them they may be able to give you advice.

Tinwheeler replied on 28/05/2018 23:52

Posted on 28/05/2018 23:52

Beero, it’s quite common and it’s not only Bessacarrs. As I said, our AS on a Sprinter was even more difficult. Take a look at the rear wheel valances and clearances next time you’re on site or at a dealership  

Letting the tyre down is only one option and I described how to jack the vehicle high enough to allow space to drop the wheel. 

MontyD replied on 29/05/2018 07:48

Posted on 29/05/2018 07:48

That looks even tighter than the Bessacarr. Don't fancy taking those ones off! wink

Tinwheeler replied on 29/05/2018 09:43

Posted on 29/05/2018 07:48 by MontyD

That looks even tighter than the Bessacarr. Don't fancy taking those ones off! wink

Posted on 29/05/2018 09:43

I think, if anything, our slightly older AS was even worse. 

Watching the fitter at my local tyre depot provided the method I posted above. It’s sonething they were familiar with. 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook