Awning Size

Colin Dav replied on 23/08/2023 13:00

Posted on 23/08/2023 13:00

Hi All

I'm looking to purchase a new (to me) Isabella awning. I would like to look for a commodore but these are 3m wide (We sleep in our awning when travelling with family). 

Has anyone experienced any problems relating to pitch size with 3m wide awnings.

Reason for 3m wide is that we like to sleep on large airbed and both like to have room to get out without climbing over each other and we will probably add an annex at some state to give a bit more room in the main awning.

SteveL replied on 23/08/2023 13:12

Posted on 23/08/2023 13:12

We don’t have an awning but I can certainly think of some sites where it would be an issue. Cirencester for one, on many of the hardstanding pitches.

Cornersteady replied on 23/08/2023 13:27

Posted on 23/08/2023 13:27

6. Using awnings, tents or other items

a. On pitches with awning space guests can erect an awning, however, should guests' awnings be wider than 2.5 metres and the awning pitch be unable to accommodate the size of this, the guest will be unable to erect their awning. Guests may also put up a tent for extra sleeping accommodation, or a specially designed toilet or cooking tent, provided the main outfit is occupied, but please keep them within the designated pitch area.

I can think of a few sites where a 3m awning wouldn't fit. I suppose one would have to ring the site in question prior to booking/arrival?

TobyLeeds replied on 23/08/2023 15:25

Posted on 23/08/2023 15:25

Isabella awnings are good but terribly over engineered with flimsy zips when a Velcro fastening  would suffice and you pay top wack. Suggest you look at an Inaca as an alternative

Whittakerr replied on 24/08/2023 14:29

Posted on 24/08/2023 14:29

I’ve had an Isabella Commodore 3m deep awning for 10 years and used it on many club sites (both CAMC and C&CC) and never had any issues. It’s a great awning and although quite expensive at first, in my opinion is great value for money.

richardandros replied on 24/08/2023 15:43

Posted on 24/08/2023 15:43

We had a Kampa 390 Grande which is a full 3m wide and never had a problem with it in terms of size on any of this Club's or t'other Club's sites.  That said, we tend to use more CLs and CS's than Club sites and it's never a problem on those.

We replaced it with a Thule Omnistor and Veduta awning which is 2.75m wide. The only Club site that's been on is Bridlington and looking at a photo I have, there's a good metre to spare on the pitch but I accept that not all pitches are as generous as that.

Personally, I'd risk it - on the basis that the extra half metre of space does make a massive difference.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook