Awning or not?

fatbelly replied on 08/01/2020 18:46

Posted on 08/01/2020 18:46

Hi All,

We've had our Motorhome for 3 years now & we love it. We're contemplating getting an awning for the coming season but we're wondering what people think of them? Do they get warm in the sun like a conservatory, are they particularly hard to erect, what are the negatives of having an awning. Theres only the 2 of us but we were thinking it'd be nice to have an extra room. Any advice will be gratefully received.

Tinwheeler replied on 08/01/2020 19:04

Posted on 08/01/2020 19:04

Do you mean a free standing awning or a roll out canopy?

We have a roll out, although we rarely use it, but I’d not contemplate having anything that would hinder the spontaneity of the up and away mobility of the MH.

The benefit of the roll out is providing shade but it’s not storm proof and shouldn’t be left extended if there’s a chance of much wind. It only takes a few minutes to extend or retract. 

My experience of awnings is restricted to caravan awnings of several years ago so not really relevant but if you’re thinking of a free standing awning consider whether you have the space and payload to store and carry it as they can be hefty lumps.

Tammygirl replied on 08/01/2020 19:55

Posted on 08/01/2020 19:55

I would agree with everything Tinwheeler said above. 

We had a MH for 6 years and only every used the canopy for shade cover, we did have 'windblocker' sides and fronts for that extra bit of shade when abroad. 

Having watched others put up a 'privacy' room on a MH and how long it takes, the weight and size of it I wouldn't go down that route. Some folk do put a lightweight awning up using the front edge of their canopy but that is usually when they are staying put for a number of weeks.

Tinwheeler replied on 08/01/2020 20:00

Posted on 08/01/2020 19:55 by fatbelly

Thanks TW. We've already got a canopy awning fitted to our Van, so we're looking at a enclosed awning.

Posted on 08/01/2020 20:00

It’s your choice obviously but I’d avoid any sort of enclosed awning as I  believe it would be more faff than it’s worth. There again, we're all different.😀

replied on 08/01/2020 20:02

Posted on 08/01/2020 19:55 by fatbelly

Thanks TW. We've already got a canopy awning fitted to our Van, so we're looking at a enclosed awning.

Posted on 08/01/2020 20:02

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

InaD replied on 08/01/2020 20:05

Posted on 08/01/2020 19:55 by Tammygirl

I would agree with everything Tinwheeler said above. 

We had a MH for 6 years and only every used the canopy for shade cover, we did have 'windblocker' sides and fronts for that extra bit of shade when abroad. 

Having watched others put up a 'privacy' room on a MH and how long it takes, the weight and size of it I wouldn't go down that route. Some folk do put a lightweight awning up using the front edge of their canopy but that is usually when they are staying put for a number of weeks.

Posted on 08/01/2020 20:05

+1.  We had exactly the same as TG on our MHs; wouldn't bother with a full awning, we've also seen people putting a privacy room up, it took ages.  We were also a bit worried about how it would stand up in a sudden gale, but apart from that, unless you're staying put for a long time, is it worth it?

When we've had awnings on caravans, we rarely sat in them if it was at all cold; conversely, if the weather is pleasant anyway, we wouldn't want to sit inside an awning, preferring to sit outside.

Just my pennorth.....

replied on 08/01/2020 20:17

Posted on 08/01/2020 20:17

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

JVB66 replied on 08/01/2020 20:21

Posted on 08/01/2020 18:46 by fatbelly

Hi All,

We've had our Motorhome for 3 years now & we love it. We're contemplating getting an awning for the coming season but we're wondering what people think of them? Do they get warm in the sun like a conservatory, are they particularly hard to erect, what are the negatives of having an awning. Theres only the 2 of us but we were thinking it'd be nice to have an extra room. Any advice will be gratefully received.

Posted on 08/01/2020 20:21

For UK use? 

fatbelly replied on 08/01/2020 20:52

Posted on 08/01/2020 20:21 by JVB66

For UK use? 

Posted on 08/01/2020 20:52

Thanks to all for the replies so far 

JVB, this coming season  we're holidaying in the UK only but in future years we'll go back to France.

JVB66 replied on 08/01/2020 21:03

Posted on 08/01/2020 20:52 by fatbelly

Thanks to all for the replies so far 

JVB, this coming season  we're holidaying in the UK only but in future years we'll go back to France.

Posted on 08/01/2020 21:03

If you are staying in one place for lengthy stays the do as AD use awning and  cook in the awning it will help if hot to keep temps down in MC as heat will disipate quicker from awning

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook