Awning depth

justgoogleit replied on 28/08/2019 22:50

Posted on 28/08/2019 22:50

Hi folks, just seeking your thoughts. She who must be obeyed has decreed that we need a bigger awning. We've kind of settled on a Kampa one that is three metres deep. Our caravan itself is just the standard width, not 8 feet. However she's now a bit nervous about whether this would fit on an 'average awning pitch'. Those of you who have one that deep, do you ever encounter any problems bearing in mind the fire regulations etc?

EmilysDad replied on 29/08/2019 00:05

Posted on 29/08/2019 00:05

We use a thre'penny bit shaped Kampa Air 400 awning on the side of our 2.3m wide caravan and have to say it will only just fit on some of the CC pack 'em in pitches.  I've ended up with pegs in the no man's land grass fingers before now .... but .... I try not to use CC sites so I live with it.

richardandros replied on 29/08/2019 07:02

Posted on 29/08/2019 07:02

We do have both an 8’ wide van and a Kampa 390 Grande awning at 3m deep. It is tight on some CC pitches but if we can, we try and pick one with a bit more room around it. We are not big fans of Club sites because we hate being packed in like sardines and only tend to use them in winter when a hard standing is more desirable. On those occasions, we invariably use our alternative Sunncamp Air 390 which isn’t so deep - and easier to dry if we have to pack it away wet.

Whittakerr replied on 29/08/2019 07:07

Posted on 29/08/2019 07:07

I’ve been using my Isabella Commodore 3m deep awning for about 6 years now on all sorts of sites and never had a problem.

cyberyacht replied on 29/08/2019 07:25

Posted on 29/08/2019 07:25

Back when I had the caravan, I inherited a 2.5m full awning with it. My van was 5m long and the space seemed massive. I only put it up twice before selling it and reverting to my porch awning. I can see why families might want the space of a full awning though. Quite why there is a need for an awning 3m wide on vans that generally average 5.5m or larger, giving an area 30% larger than mine was, is however something of a puzzle to me.

replied on 29/08/2019 07:55

Posted on 29/08/2019 07:55

Very much our thoughts and experience Cyber

Whittakerr replied on 29/08/2019 09:07

Posted on 29/08/2019 09:07

As I said earlier, I have a 3m deep full size awning for my 7m long caravan. The extra space when I go away with my family is valuable to me, it gives plenty of storage space for food, clothes, shoes, dirty washing, toys etc. as well as a good space to eat outside whilst providing some shade or shelter. 

When I go away on my own I use my Isabella magnum porch awning, again it gives a little storage space and gives an outside space to eat and relax.

DavidKlyne replied on 29/08/2019 09:11

Posted on 29/08/2019 09:11

I thought I had read somewhere, possibly  the magazine, that wardens might not allow very large awnings on some pitches despite them being designated as awning pitches because it can be difficult to achieve correct distances especially on some hardstanding pitches. Club site pitches vary so much in size. On a site like Moreton in Marsh you might struggle to get the caravan and awning contained within the hardstanding and that is with the car parked across the unit. Maybe not such a problem on grass pitches?

David

EmilysDad replied on 29/08/2019 09:39

Posted on 29/08/2019 09:11 by DavidKlyne

I thought I had read somewhere, possibly  the magazine, that wardens might not allow very large awnings on some pitches despite them being designated as awning pitches because it can be difficult to achieve correct distances especially on some hardstanding pitches. Club site pitches vary so much in size. On a site like Moreton in Marsh you might struggle to get the caravan and awning contained within the hardstanding and that is with the car parked across the unit. Maybe not such a problem on grass pitches?

David

Posted on 29/08/2019 09:39

Which just highlights how the club packs 'em in ....

JVB66 replied on 29/08/2019 12:08

Posted on 29/08/2019 09:11 by DavidKlyne

David

Posted on 29/08/2019 12:08

Some of the older pitches at Moretonwink

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook