Avtex Tourer Two Sat Nav

two travellers replied on 14/08/2019 13:43

Posted on 14/08/2019 13:43

The Caravan club has a members offer on this ... has anyone got one and would they recommend it. How easy is it to download maps etc and is the guidance clear?? Thanks in advance for any responses...

hitchglitch replied on 14/08/2019 14:24

Posted on 14/08/2019 14:24

Before you buy this, take a look at the Garmin 7 inch SatNav with Lifetime Maps and Traffic. The functionality is similar and it is cheaper.

You can load Archies POIs in Garmin quite simply and he updates them regularly based on user feedback so you will have an accurate massive database of European sites and having used it over three years for about 30 sites it has always taken is to the site front entrance every time. Not sure whether you can update the Avtex POIs the same way so it’s worth checking. Also I question how they would get up to date POIs in the same way that Archie does. Several people on this forum have complained about inaccurate coordinates for sites which are presumably taken from map data not from customer experience.

With lifetime maps you just plug your SatNav into your pc and update the maps using Garmin Express so I assume the Avtex one is the same.

My Garmin has no facility to enter outfit size but many have questioned what difference this actually makes. The jury is out on whether the underlying map data has enough detail to use the outfit dimensions.

Sorry to say it but my personal view is that the Avtex Garmin is a marketing exercise rather than a better product. Happy to be corrected of course.

magic replied on 25/08/2019 10:43

Posted on 25/08/2019 10:43

We were going to purchase the Avtex Tourer two but found the Garmin camping at Halfords for £277 and we think it does all that we require. Since we are familiar with Garmin decide to stay with them, you can input your own profile, car, caravan, Motorhome etc. has free lifetime updates. Very pleased with it.

Bewitch replied on 26/08/2019 10:28

Posted on 26/08/2019 10:28

this is an interesting article. i was going to ask about this sat nav as just started out with a caravan. The avtex Tourer is what i was looking at buying, but it is a lot of money if i dont get what im looking for out of it. If its approved by caravan and motorhome club then how many people decided it was good for us. How did this get about. did they give out say 100 for a trial first. i was also looking at the truck sat nav as its set to a large size. read up says they good but cheap and feel cheap. not sure how long it would last. the garmin camping one ive not heard off. will look into. Also whats the difference between the avtex one to avtex two. they both give updates so im not sure what else we need on a sat nav. but im only saying as new to this stuff so learning along the way.

lornalou1 replied on 26/08/2019 12:00

Posted on 26/08/2019 12:00

Have you got a mobile phone or tablet as you could download apps that will suit your needs, like Copilot GPS and many others.

dmiller555 replied on 27/08/2019 07:45

Posted on 27/08/2019 07:45

There have been many threads on this subject, so worth doing a search for them.

I have used the Copilot app on an iPad and more recently on a iPhone, having compared it directly with a Garmin Camper 770LMT-D I have decided to stick with the CoPilot since the mapping and route selection seems to be exactly the same as on the Garmin. 

markmacd replied on 27/08/2019 13:58

Posted on 26/08/2019 12:00 by lornalou1

Have you got a mobile phone or tablet as you could download apps that will suit your needs, like Copilot GPS and many others.

Posted on 27/08/2019 13:58

What apps would you recommend based on your experience on them.

Pros & Cons

Mucket replied on 11/10/2019 17:19

Posted on 11/10/2019 17:19

Just done a two thousand mile trip around France. The Tourer Two worked well but it did not know the route through Loches to the Citadelle camp site and sent us up a “ No Caravan” road through the centre of town. Also it doesn’t know the way into Tredegar House Club site in Newport. So beware.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook