Appalling design

Dave L S replied on 08/08/2018 20:33

Posted on 08/08/2018 20:33

Having just bought our first motorhome, a 65 Plate Bessacarr, based on a Fiat Ducato chassis, I find it difficult to believe that Fiat would would have fitted such a difficult to read speedometer.

In daylight, it is extremely difficult to read, and with sunglasses on, nigh on impossible.

It is set set well back into the panel, with an overhanging cowl, shading it from the ambient light,  which,  if you are tall, or have the seat set high, anything around the top of the dial (60mph), cannot be seen, without dipping your head.

An absolutely appalling design, and potentially a driving hazard.

Is it just me, or is it something others have noticed ?. A quick Google search answered that, as I found found numerous complaints about the problem, and that Fiat do not have answer for it. They do apparently have a software mod, that switches on the night time back lighting, when the ignition is switched on, but from what I read, in daylight, its about as much use as a 'chocolate fireguard'.

Owners have had to  install LED lighting, or similar, to front illuminate the speedo for use in daylight. How poor is that!!.

Fiat should hang their head in shame, and if we take to motor homing, and move onto another motor home the Fiat ducato will not be on my 'shopping list'.

Tinwheeler replied on 08/08/2018 20:41

Posted on 08/08/2018 20:41

Nothing about Fiat surprises me. You should have been around in the days of their clutch judder!

The same speedo problem existed in the Peugeot and Citroen equivalents but I can’t say I’ve noticed the problem in our 2017 Peugeot.

mickysf replied on 08/08/2018 20:43

Posted on 08/08/2018 20:43

Yes, it's not good, I now rely on my sat nav to tell me my road speed. It also lets me know the speed restriction on the road I'm travelling on and 'shouts' at me if I'm going too fast.  Not fool proof but better than the vehicle provided display in several ways.

KenofKent replied on 08/08/2018 20:45

Posted on 08/08/2018 20:45

Dave, my comment will not help I know, but, if potential purchasers were to test drive vehicles, these problems would be noticed, and, no purchase made. Perhaps Fiat would then do something about it.

As an aside, my Postman was also complaining about his Fiat post van at his depot they say FIAT stands for Fix

It

Again

Tomorrow.

Sorry,

Ken

Dave L S replied on 08/08/2018 20:50

Posted on 08/08/2018 20:50

Yes, I heard about the clutch judder, was something to do with reversing up hill?

The vehicle does have a built in Tom Tom Sat Nav, but I haven't used it yet, so I don't know if it provides a vehicle speed reading.

We pay tens of thousands of pounds for these motorhome, so to find one fitted with a piddly little speedo, that's positioned so it is difficult to read, beggars belief.

I  guess I am going have to fit some kind of LED front lighting myself. Not impressed.

hitchglitch replied on 08/08/2018 20:51

Posted on 08/08/2018 20:51

On the Autosleeper coachbuilt (Peugeot) motorhomes the seats are raised which contributes to the problem. Speedo needle seems to wobble around as well. As above, I use my Garmin which seems to be more accurate, more visible and gives accurate speed limits throughout Europe.

Dave L S replied on 08/08/2018 20:59

Posted on 08/08/2018 20:59

Ken, I did test drive the vehicle before purchase, and did mention the small, recessed speedo to the sales person.

However, my attention was focused on how the vehicle performed, how many habitation area rattles might be present, and how the vehicle handled.

The speedo issue seemed a minor concern at the time, but now having driven it around a bit, I can see what an inconvenience it is.

KenofKent replied on 08/08/2018 21:04

Posted on 08/08/2018 21:04

Dave, I apologise, I didn’t mean it to sound as I have now re-read it. I am sure you had a lot to consider.

Ken

Dave L S replied on 08/08/2018 21:16

Posted on 08/08/2018 21:16

No problem Ken, I didn't see your comment as a criticism, and it probably has some validity, in some cases.

Btw, we caravanned for 20 years, towing with a variety of vehicles, and before that, had goodness knows how many cars, but until we got this Fiat, I had never met such a ridulous, and difficult to read Speedo (lol)

lornalou1 replied on 08/08/2018 21:43

Posted on 08/08/2018 21:43

Might be worth looking at these then.  heads up display speedometer. google and loads of info. problem solved.

ABM replied on 08/08/2018 22:57

Posted on 08/08/2018 22:57

I've  fitted  one  of  the  tiny  lights  used  on  personal  head lights  --  the  sort  fitted  on  elastic  straps,  designed  for  humans  to  wear  !!

Fixed  the  base plate  down  with  'Blu Tak'  --  works  wonders  !

If  the  ambient  light  is  such  that  the  speedo  becomes  un-readable  just  turn  the  light  on  to  its  low  setting  and  all  is  fine.  Sounds  a  bit  'Blue  Peter-ish'  I  know  but  it  works  ok  for  me,  and  with  rechargeable  batteries  it's  cheap  enough.  Just  make  sure  you  don't  block  out  any  warning  lights  tho'  !!

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook