Alko locks on twin axles

replied on 02/05/2019 10:37

Posted on 02/05/2019 10:37

Fitting Alko locks to a twin axle van is not alway easy. I've read most of the downfalls and various solutions on numerous threads regarding fitting alko locks to twin axle vans and the insurance implications.

When I has a powrtouch fitted to my old single van the guys put a block under the jockey wheel and raised the van enough to work under the axle to fit the mover.

Has anyone used this method to rotate the second wheel on a twin to fit the second alko? I've not found anyone who seems to use this method to fit alko locks on a twin.

I would appreciate your wise words on the pros and cons....or just not feasible!

EmilysDad replied on 02/05/2019 10:41

Posted on 02/05/2019 10:41

I'd doubt the jockey wheel could lift the front of a caravan sufficiently to take enough weight off the front axle to allow you to spin a wheel ... 🤔

cyberyacht replied on 02/05/2019 10:57

Posted on 02/05/2019 10:57

This issue is where I don't understand how Lock-N-Level bags help. The wheels are still sitting on something, even if it is an airbag.

eurortraveller replied on 02/05/2019 12:24

Posted on 02/05/2019 12:24

Richardrjb, if I were in your situation I would be looking for some form of security which is easier to fit than these Alko locks. 

Whittakerr replied on 02/05/2019 14:53

Posted on 02/05/2019 10:57 by cyberyacht

This issue is where I don't understand how Lock-N-Level bags help. The wheels are still sitting on something, even if it is an airbag.

Posted on 02/05/2019 14:53

Have a look at the video on their website and all will become clear.

DaveT replied on 03/05/2019 11:45

Posted on 03/05/2019 11:45

Having seen the video for lock n level is does seem to be a good way to apply the locks. However, it depends on your insurance policy, your intended use of the van (remote or relatively secure club sites) and your attitude to risk. Some insurance policies insists on wheel locks fitted on site, others don't. 

There is an argument that if you are staying on club sites, one lock and perhaps a suitable lock and chain through the other alloy and the chassis will suffice. Some motorcycle products with hardened chains took over 2 minutes to defeat them with an angle grinder. This would probably cause some unwanted attention on site for the thief!

Fully accept that if you are parked in some remote location then you need two locks. This would only tick a box for your claim - your van would still disappear if the thief wanted it.

Personally, I fit one lock and use a bottle jack (£15) to lift the van, spin the other wheel and apply the second lock.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook