Airbag ecu

mothball56 replied on 02/05/2021 09:56

Posted on 02/05/2021 09:56

Are peeps having trouble with the air bag ecu, as we have had ours fail and in doing so it will not pass the mot, i sent it away to checked with crashdata and they said it was unrepairable and had to have a new one , and this will have wait until Aug at the earliest. So now we have to sorn our MHO until thenundecided

Tinwheeler replied on 02/05/2021 10:04

Posted on 02/05/2021 10:04

I have read about it on other forums. Presumably, you're referring to a Peugeot/Fiat base vehicle and you might find more info on a Sevel related forum.

AngusPiloteCamper replied on 16/05/2021 10:00

Posted on 02/05/2021 09:56 by mothball56

Are peeps having trouble with the air bag ecu, as we have had ours fail and in doing so it will not pass the mot, i sent it away to checked with crashdata and they said it was unrepairable and had to have a new one , and this will have wait until Aug at the earliest. So now we have to sorn our MHO until thenundecided

Posted on 16/05/2021 10:00

Had the same issue after battery froze ( even though connected to a CETEK charger all winter). On starting the engine, it was like the dash lights were 'on tilt' (pinball wizards know about this). Tried a spare battery which seemed to be fine except SRS ( Safety Restraint System) warning light came on. This meant MOT failure. Removed Airbag ECU - 4 bolts, and sent off to Crashdata. The circuit board had been fried apparently so a new ECU costing £340 was needed. Crashdata sent new one and arrived next day by post. Reinstalled and connected up new battery, no warning lights !   and new MOT granted. Apparently it's a common fault especially with MHs which unlike the white van equivalents, are not on the road every day meaning engine battery failure more likely, corrupting or in my case, frying the PCB in the ECU.

Great service from Crashdata. I got a price for new airbag ECU from dealer - was £540 !! 

It's a pain but also good to know that heaven forbid, if you ever need the airbags - they will actually work.

LLM replied on 16/05/2021 11:00

Posted on 16/05/2021 11:00

The same unit is used on the Fiat, Renault and Peugeot truck variants, and for that matter in many other vehicles.  They do seem to be very subsepatble to being left unused and to bad power supplies.  The problem at present is that manufacture has been disrupted by Covid 19 and there is a world shortage of spares.  If you need a new one there can be a very long wait.  

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook