Air awning best electric pump

MrsPandMrC replied on 22/08/2022 09:03

Posted on 22/08/2022 09:03

Hi all,

I have bought a 2nd hand air porch awning, which comes with a hand pump.

I don't need to go to the gym after blowing it up!  I get a really good workout using the hand pump it came with and I'm wondering which is the best electric pump to buy.  

Does an airbed pump work? Or does an adaptor on a tyre pump work?  Or do I need to invest in a pump that costs in the region of £80 on Amazon? 

Your advise would be greatly appreciated. 

Many thanks

Arch replied on 23/08/2022 14:45

Posted on 23/08/2022 14:45

I have a Kampa/Dometic 390 air awning and I use the Kampa/Dometic electric pump you can set the pressure required, never had any issues with, you don't say what awning you have but I'm sure there will be a manufacturer pump for it but do search for the best price Amazon isn't always the cheapest, I know you can get cheaper 3rd party pumps but I wanted the one that was made for my awning, whatever you do do not go overpressure I always go lower than than the recommended as hot sunshine has caused many tubes to blow.

richardandros replied on 23/08/2022 15:36

Posted on 23/08/2022 15:36

I've been using one of These for about the last six or seven years and I can thoroughly recommend it.  That said, I am surprised how much they have gone up - I paid about £85 for it which was comparable with pumps specifically made for awnings.

It inflates our Kampa 390 Grande in less than 3 minutes! - plus the automatic cut-off ensures you don't over inflate the awning.  I always set it at a couple of psi under the recommended pressure to be on the safe side.

I use a 40 Ah battery (which I have in it's own little case) and just clip it to that.  Be wary of those pumps with a cigarette lighter connection since they invariably do not draw enough power and are a bit feeble.

EmilysDad replied on 23/08/2022 15:58

Posted on 23/08/2022 15:58

i used to have a cordless/battery air pump for my Kampa awning but lost it .... there doesn't seem to be comparable replacement 😕

Arch replied on 23/08/2022 16:06

Posted on 23/08/2022 16:06

The Dometic Kampa  Gale pump is £56 online it has a cigarette lighter fitting so plug into your car start the car and leave it idle while using the pump.

Rufs replied on 24/08/2022 09:38

Posted on 23/08/2022 15:36 by richardandros

I've been using one of These for about the last six or seven years and I can thoroughly recommend it.  That said, I am surprised how much they have gone up - I paid about £85 for it which was comparable with pumps specifically made for awnings.

It inflates our Kampa 390 Grande in less than 3 minutes! - plus the automatic cut-off ensures you don't over inflate the awning.  I always set it at a couple of psi under the recommended pressure to be on the safe side.

I use a 40 Ah battery (which I have in it's own little case) and just clip it to that.  Be wary of those pumps with a cigarette lighter connection since they invariably do not draw enough power and are a bit feeble.

Posted on 24/08/2022 09:38

Wow!!! expensive, so by the time you have bought the battery you could be looking at £150 to just to pump up your awning, then of course you have to remember to keep the battery topped up.

I have a Kampa Gale, £50 on Amazon, stick it in the 12v socket of the car, run the engine, puts 10psi into the awning in a matter of minutes, you can set the pressure to whatever suits, as a stand-by i carry the manual pump that came with the awning, find that a most satisfying experience. laughing

richardandros replied on 29/08/2022 05:53

Posted on 24/08/2022 09:38 by Rufs

Wow!!! expensive, so by the time you have bought the battery you could be looking at £150 to just to pump up your awning, then of course you have to remember to keep the battery topped up.

I have a Kampa Gale, £50 on Amazon, stick it in the 12v socket of the car, run the engine, puts 10psi into the awning in a matter of minutes, you can set the pressure to whatever suits, as a stand-by i carry the manual pump that came with the awning, find that a most satisfying experience. laughing

Posted on 29/08/2022 05:53

Yes, it is expensive now Rufs - but when I bought it the Kampa one was about the same price and it was rubbish.  There were reviews that talked about having a cup of tea whilst it inflated the awning!  Kampa subsequently recognised this and improved their offering. 

I also use the battery for inflating the car tyres before towing - saves having to drag leads around the car and I don't think it was that much - and charging it up before we go away is all part of my preparation routine along with charging the drill battery for the corner steadies.

eribaMotters replied on 29/08/2022 14:22

Posted on 29/08/2022 14:22

I'm 61 years old and in good health. I recently sold my Kampa inflatable awning and it never crossed my mind to buy an electric pump. The supplied pump was effective, quick and did not leave me feeling knackered.

Was it my youth or just me being mean?

Colin

MrsPandMrC replied on 29/08/2022 21:48

Posted on 29/08/2022 21:48

Thanks for the replies guys - sorry been offline for a few days, hence the delay.  Really appreciate your thoughts on this though. 

Think I might give the Kampa Gale a go - not too expensive and a lot less effort by the sounds of things.

Many thanks again

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook