Aerial perspective

Apperley replied on 05/02/2020 10:31

Posted on 05/02/2020 10:31

The letter in February's club magazine from Andrew Woodthorpe regarding caravan & motorhome TV aerials gives a good overview of the aerial and how to get the best reception.

I use a TV signal finder app. It shows you the direction of all TV masts and whether the signal is horizontal or vertical. Sometimes I find it's better to go for a mast further away but with a less interrupted line of sight, trees or buildings blocking the nearest mast etc.

On my Bailey Autograph II motorhome I have also discovered that the exterior TV aerial port, is not an input (from the EHU bollard) but an output to watch TV outside. I've now reversed it with a simple switch so that I can watch the site system when reception is bad. 

Oh and the international signal warning that you have left your aerial up is someone pointing furiously at the heavens with one finger shouting 'aerial'.

SteveL replied on 05/02/2020 10:52

Posted on 05/02/2020 10:52

Our Hymer came with their Whip aerial system. So unfortunately no chance of pointing it at a mast. I was initially sceptical, however once I found the right menu on the Avtex TV to provide antenna power, it proved remarkably good. Even in weak signal areas a reasonable number of channels are available and in good areas even the HD ones are there. I also have an exterior point for the site feed if available, but always try the whip one first. Saves on the extra cable when packing up.😂 At least no chance of leaving it up, as there was with the status on our caravan.

Trini replied on 05/02/2020 11:54

Posted on 05/02/2020 11:54

Steve we have the whip aerial which weve found to be unreliable however your comment as the the 'right menu' on the Avtex sounds interesting. What is the menu you're referring to please?

A friend will lend us an Avtex to try 

SteveL replied on 05/02/2020 12:33

Posted on 05/02/2020 11:54 by Trini

Steve we have the whip aerial which weve found to be unreliable however your comment as the the 'right menu' on the Avtex sounds interesting. What is the menu you're referring to please?

A friend will lend us an Avtex to try 

Posted on 05/02/2020 12:33

On our whip instructions it specifically says it needs a power source, which can be provided from the aerial socket of an Avtex TV, plus others I believe.

Set up your TV, plug in the aerial and press the source button on the remote and select Digital TV. (Picture 1) Then press the TV set up button on the remote. This brings up the picture menu (photo 2). Scroll down to the little picture of the TV, fourth down, using the arrow key below OK on the remote. This brings up the DVT menu (photo 3). Go across onto it with the right arrow button and change Antena power to on. The right arrow key acts as a on off toggle. Close these menus by pressing TV set up again. Then tune in the TV using the big red AQT button.

Trini replied on 06/02/2020 10:00

Posted on 06/02/2020 10:00

Wow thanks very much Steve for taking the time to provide such a detailed reply.

With regard to the aerial needing a power source, the Avtex booster in the van has a 12v supply which try both on and off when tuning the tv.

I will give it a go this weekend.

ocsid replied on 07/02/2020 06:46

Posted on 06/02/2020 10:00 by Trini

Wow thanks very much Steve for taking the time to provide such a detailed reply.

With regard to the aerial needing a power source, the Avtex booster in the van has a 12v supply which try both on and off when tuning the tv.

I will give it a go this weekend.

Posted on 07/02/2020 06:46

"--the Avtex booster in the van has a 12v supply which try both on and off when tuning the tv."

This is suggesting pretty convincingly to me that the aerial in your van is not one of the type requiring a power feed from the TV's RF [aerial] input?

young thomas replied on 07/02/2020 06:54

Posted on 07/02/2020 06:54

Steve, we have short, stubby, fexible aerial in the roof (12" max), could this be a whip aerial?....i thought it was for the radio and TV one was buried in one of the Bus mirrors....

our tv is a Alphatronics and i will have a look for a powered boost setting.

it performs pretty well as is, but, as you say, no directional capability.

we generally use satellite but always useful to have the best digital signal too....it also picks up HD signals where available.

thanks for the heads up.

SteveL replied on 07/02/2020 07:17

Posted on 07/02/2020 07:17

We are indeed referring to the same type of aerial BB. About 12 inches long and curved back. From what I've read ours does for both radio and TV. Hymer sell an entertainment package (very expensive and not fitted 😂) which would interface with it but all the leads / connections are in a little cupboard near the TV bracket. I've no idea if the Pioneer sat nav / radio the dealer installed for us links to it, but the reception on both digital and FM radio is very good.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook