#3500 lives – what are your tips for safe driving?

RochelleCC replied on 10/03/2017 10:34

Posted on 10/03/2017 10:34

Today the FIA launched their #3500lives road safety campaign. The campaign is designed to raise awareness of the risk factors faced by drivers through a series of powerful posters which tackle key issues such as texting whilst driving, using a child safety seat correctly, checking tyres and stopping when tired.

We think that this is an extremely worthwhile cause, and I’d love to hear your thoughts on the campaign.

What are your top tips for safe driving?

You can find out more about the campaign at www.fia.com

Pippah45 replied on 10/03/2017 13:38

Posted on 10/03/2017 13:38

All of the above and its important Drive within the conditions and the locality.  60mph it might be on Lincolnshire lanes but doing that speed is potential suicide or murder in a lot of places yet there seem to be a lot of people who think they can drive to that speed regardless of the bends and conditions.  I like classic fm as I am driving although I do remember going a bit faster one day when the Valkyries were on! 

RochelleCC replied on 10/03/2017 14:28

Posted on 10/03/2017 13:38 by Pippah45

All of the above and its important Drive within the conditions and the locality.  60mph it might be on Lincolnshire lanes but doing that speed is potential suicide or murder in a lot of places yet there seem to be a lot of people who think they can drive to that speed regardless of the bends and conditions.  I like classic fm as I am driving although I do remember going a bit faster one day when the Valkyries were on! 

Posted on 10/03/2017 14:28

I have the same issue when listening to music... not quite the Valkyries, but I try not to listen to heavy metal unless I'm on the motorway wink

crown green bowler replied on 10/03/2017 16:53

Posted on 10/03/2017 16:53

I think that most of the time lots of us ''THINK'' we are better drivers than we really are, and can react quicker than we really can. But at times it scares the life out of me how close some cars are behind me when I am driving, and wonder if they would be able to stop if I had to stop quickly. But returning to what Rochelle was asking, I think it is excessive speed and not thinking about any other peoples safety. I drove HGV trucks for 44 years without an accident so I must have done something correct.

redface replied on 10/03/2017 17:10

Posted on 10/03/2017 17:10

Not only check your vehicles but also that YOU are fit to drive.

Has age slowed down your reactions too much?

Are you feeling well?

Is your eyesight still good?

As a 'wrinkly' I do find it necessary to check as I would not wish to cause an unnecessary loss of life. I could not live with that.

RangeRoverMan replied on 10/03/2017 18:56

Posted on 10/03/2017 18:56

Given that a relatively small number of accidents are caused by drunk, drugged and distracted drivers, what is being done about the majority of accidents which are caused by sober drivers.

I'm a driver in my 70's but I'm in favour of stringent and regular tests of driving ability, reactions and eyesight.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook