2023Swift Challenger 580 Grande

Touring Twosome replied on 23/06/2024 17:18

Posted on 23/06/2024 17:18

Is anyone having any problems with a Swift  Challenger 580 Grande 2023 model . We have had  so many problems unlike any of the 3 other Swift models we have had from new  since we started caravanning .It started with rain getting in the front locker and the arms that hold it open falling down . We also have damp around where the barbecue point. Inside we have loads of screws come out some we have no idea where they have come from but quite a few are the black ones from the cooker . All of the capping covering the cables run near the ceiling have fallen off whether it is fixed in a cupboard or out in the bedroom section . The refrigerator door came off in transit and damaged  the opposite cupboard door and on our the latest trip the mirror which is fixed on a hinge so it can angle out has become dislodged when the crews worked loose and have damaged the shelf below . Several of the cupboard door though shut and locked properly are working loose when travelling . We have been caravanning for many years and know how to load for stability , nose weight etc . We have had the car checked out at the Land Rover dealership to make sure the tow bar , steering and suspension are in A1 condition and there were no problems there . Some of the problems have been rectified and some are still waiting for attention . There is however a reluctance to use it now . 

Moderator Comment - Moved from Stories to the Discussion area

Tirril replied on 25/06/2024 15:00

Posted on 25/06/2024 15:00

We bought a new Swift Elegance in 2016 and on the first trip mainly on motorway and good A roads  arrived on site to find that some drawers were lying on the floor. At first we thought we had been careless not closing them but inspection showed that the sliding rails were still fixed to the drawers but not the corresponding cabinet walls. This happened two three more times until I had superglued  all of the retaining screws. We had various other faults (17 in all) but when the sliding kitchen drawer meant to hold tin food etc, came detached in meant that the oven had to be removed. We had so many trips to the dealer that we sold it at 12 months and bought a Hymer which proved to be well built. Currently on a Bucaneer Cruiser which seems reliable, just one warranty job. Our best in reliability terms were two Bailey Unicorns. One of which remained totally free of faults for the 5 years we owned it. Regarding Swift a site neighbour with a 22 model was having to glue door rails, some 4 years on from my model. We lost confidence in Swift and having a foreign trip coming up took quite a financial hit selling it at just 12 months old. 

Freddy55 replied on 25/06/2024 15:30

Posted on 25/06/2024 15:30

We have a Challenger 580 bought new in 2019. On our first trip out we arrived to find lots of screws on the floor. Next trip out we arrived to find the glass hob cover on the floor. It had hit the cupboard opposite leaving a hole/dent, which was subsequently replaced under warranty. The van is on its third set of brake drums/shoes, the last of which cost me the best part of £1,000. I’m fully expecting to have to replace them again next year, and no, I’m not heavy on the brakes, quite the opposite. Next month we’re taking the van to Regal Furnishings to have the front seating totally replaced as the supplied is quite frankly rubbish. Yes, we could have had it replaced under warranty, but only on a like for like basis, so a complete waste of time. There’s a glass panel beside the hob, that fell out. A surround for one of the roof vents, that fell off. Meanwhile, screws are still falling out. I’d never buy another Swift.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook