Abbey Wood

topsyturner replied on 16/11/2023 16:36

Posted on 16/11/2023 16:36

Abbey Wood is a lovely situated site with a 5 minute amble to the station into central London.

However the ULEZ charge makes it a very expensive visit. A charge of £100 a day puts a minimum of £200 on top of any campsite fees which makes it prohibitive to visit this campsite again.

Motorhomers must also be careful as other towns and cities have introduced LEZ charging zones. So drivers do your research when planning a journey so as not to inadvertently drive into these zones. Bath for instance will charge you £100 a day plus a PCN fine of  £120 if you are late paying the charge. Ignorance will not save you.

Moderator Comment - Moved from Story Section

SteveL replied on 17/11/2023 10:04

Posted on 17/11/2023 10:04

It does of course depend on your particular vehicle. Our Euro 6 2019 Hymer Motorhome currently does not attract a charge in either London or Bath. However, if we were still towing our Unicorn Cadiz with our 10 year old X Trail it would incur a charge in London at least, also when not towing.

DavidKlyne replied on 17/11/2023 17:13

Posted on 17/11/2023 17:13

Would I be wrong in thinking that there has been so much publicity about ULEZ and other such schemes that you would almost have to be living under a stone not to be aware that at least you need to check? As an aside it occurred to me that the authorities that implement these schemes could have done themselves a favour and allowed both Euro 5 and 6 on the basis that when Euro 7 comes into effect the Euro 5 engines would automatically head into the paid category? Much more difficult to argue against that approach? Sorry I digress a bit.

David

NutsyH replied on 17/11/2023 20:06

Posted on 17/11/2023 17:13 by DavidKlyne

Would I be wrong in thinking that there has been so much publicity about ULEZ and other such schemes that you would almost have to be living under a stone not to be aware that at least you need to check? As an aside it occurred to me that the authorities that implement these schemes could have done themselves a favour and allowed both Euro 5 and 6 on the basis that when Euro 7 comes into effect the Euro 5 engines would automatically head into the paid category? Much more difficult to argue against that approach? Sorry I digress a bit.

David

Posted on 17/11/2023 20:06

If Euro 7 ever comes in. Many manufacturers are telling the EU that it is a pointless exercise spending billions on pursuing this when such engines will be banned by 2035 (or earlier on the whim of politicians).

DavidKlyne replied on 18/11/2023 21:18

Posted on 17/11/2023 20:06 by NutsyH

If Euro 7 ever comes in. Many manufacturers are telling the EU that it is a pointless exercise spending billions on pursuing this when such engines will be banned by 2035 (or earlier on the whim of politicians).

Posted on 18/11/2023 21:18

Nutsy

As I was about to say before I was rudely interrupted by the shutdown!!!

ICE vehicles manufactured up to 2035 will still have a life of at least 10 years or longer so I am not sure that Euro 7 will be a completely useless exercise. My point really was that those operating these clean air zones could have made life easier for themselves and avoided lots of controversy and hostility by starting with Euro 5 which would automatically be phased out when Euro 7 was enacted. I imagine there is unlikely to be a Euro 8 so such zones would be the preserve of only Euro 6 and 7 vehicles.

David

NutsyH replied on 18/11/2023 23:53

Posted on 18/11/2023 21:18 by DavidKlyne

Nutsy

As I was about to say before I was rudely interrupted by the shutdown!!!

ICE vehicles manufactured up to 2035 will still have a life of at least 10 years or longer so I am not sure that Euro 7 will be a completely useless exercise. My point really was that those operating these clean air zones could have made life easier for themselves and avoided lots of controversy and hostility by starting with Euro 5 which would automatically be phased out when Euro 7 was enacted. I imagine there is unlikely to be a Euro 8 so such zones would be the preserve of only Euro 6 and 7 vehicles.

David

Posted on 18/11/2023 23:53

David

Yes I completely get your point. My response was based on the fact that the major manufacturers are questioning why they should spend billions on developing cleaner engines when they are being forced into also spending more billions developing EV's. I also agree that the zones should have started with Euro 5 and 6, but that would mean less "fines" income for them. I read somewhere the other day (pistonheads) that one of the London boroughs puled in £500,000 in the first week. 

Paul

Takethedogalong replied on 19/11/2023 12:50

Posted on 19/11/2023 12:50

The Club needs to flag up Sites that are within ULEZ/LEZ zones on the front webpage of each Site. That way visitors will have a definite indication of the situation regarding each site, and might choose an alternative if required. This doesn’t appear to be the case at the moment. Travelling to a site is the responsibility of the user. Being within a zone is basic information the Club should pass on. 

SteveL replied on 19/11/2023 21:23

Posted on 19/11/2023 12:50 by Takethedogalong

The Club needs to flag up Sites that are within ULEZ/LEZ zones on the front webpage of each Site. That way visitors will have a definite indication of the situation regarding each site, and might choose an alternative if required. This doesn’t appear to be the case at the moment. Travelling to a site is the responsibility of the user. Being within a zone is basic information the Club should pass on. 

Posted on 19/11/2023 21:23

I don’t know about any others but they certainly do for Abbey Wood

Please note: this Club campsite is situated within the London Low Emission Zone (LEZ) which means you may need to pay a fee based on your vehicle's emissions, age and weight. The best way to find out is to use the Transport for London Low Emission Zone Checker. To avoid any late payment penalties, it's best to set up an Auto Pay account before you travel and then the appropriate payment is taken automatically when you drive into the zone.

And Baltic Wharf

Please note: The Bristol Clean Air Zone covers the central part of Bristol between Bristol Temple Meads Station and the A3029, including Cumberland Road and Baltic Wharf Club Campsite which means you may need to pay a fee based on your vehicle's emissions, age and weight. Click here for more information.

Both passages in italics are taken from the why stay here information on the site web pages. Anyone not knowing the site, would I think read that information prior to booking.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook