Kampa air exploded

TonyS replied on 21/05/2019 17:02

Posted on 21/05/2019 17:02

My Kampa classic air 380 main tube burst today 19 days out of warranty IE 2 years and 19 days Kampa unsympathetic I have to pay for new tube.

Moderator Comment - Tony not quite sure why you have posted this in the Story Section as it really belongs in the discussion area to where I have moved it.

commeyras replied on 23/05/2019 13:51

Posted on 23/05/2019 13:51

Tony.   Your consumer rights are much stronger than those offered by any warranty.  Things are expected to last 'for a reasonable time'.  As it was only just out of warranty I would have expected that the reasonable time period had not been exceeded.  A few years ago I had a problem with a washing machine that was just out of warranty.  The shop said out of warranty sorry.  I quoted the reasonable time argument and just gat a blank stare from the shop so I asked them to call head office and although I did not get 100% satisfaction I got quite a lot off the repair.  

If you have not yet paid get back to the supplier, not Kampa as your contract is with the supplier, and put the reasonable time argument to them and push for a discount.

I have replied to your post really to help all who may come across similar situations.  Remember your rights in law are MUCH stronger than any guarantee.

replied on 23/05/2019 14:32

Posted on 23/05/2019 14:32

My daughter had a similar situation with a laptop bought from her local Argos. I told her to print a short note composed by me outlining her rights and the relevant regs. and to return to Argos who had denied her originally and demand to be dealt with correctly. The store manager reluctantly took her laptop and gave her a replacement to same spec. 

Some of the stores train their staff to be obstructive I suspect. laughing

It is usually far easier to deal with obstruction face to face. 

richardandros replied on 25/05/2019 06:25

Posted on 25/05/2019 06:25

I have always experienced excellent back-up from Kampa if there has ever been a problem with any of their kit I have owned.  However, without wading through instruction booklets, I have a feeling that punctures etc are specifically excluded from their warranty and given the hot weather we have been experiencing over the last few days, they are probably within their rights to argue that the tube has exploded due to too high a pressure. It would certainly be very difficult to prove otherwise. I wouldn't have thought that a new bladder was very expensive as compared to the cost of a new air awning.

Based on my experience of their rubbish toilet in our new Knaus - which I have now had changed to a Thetford - I wonder if this excellent service will continue now that Kampa are owned by Dometic!

replied on 25/05/2019 07:10

Posted on 25/05/2019 07:10

I have a feeling that punctures etc are specifically excluded from their warranty and given the hot weather we have been experiencing over the last few days, they are probably within their rights to argue that the tube has exploded due to too high a pressure. 

Not quite sure what one should do in a hot summer's day when going out. Half the pressure when going out and reinflate at dusk? Never owned an air awning but don't they have a pressure relief valve? 

JVB66 replied on 25/05/2019 07:29

Posted on 25/05/2019 07:29

Bother were two exploded in the hot weather last year when we were at Morn Hill,

There was a couple at Seacroft last week who had just bouget a new Kampa air, when it spoke to them they "advised"that the pump they had was equipped with a pressure valve that would only pump to pressure specified by Kampa?

replied on 25/05/2019 07:35

Posted on 25/05/2019 07:35

There was a couple at Seacroft last week who had just bouget a new Kampa air, when it spoke to them they "advised"that the pump they had was equipped with a pressure valve that would only pump to pressure specified by Kampa?

You would have thought that a pressure relief valve would be built into the actual tubes.

JVB66 replied on 25/05/2019 07:43

Posted on 25/05/2019 07:35 by

You would have thought that a pressure relief valve would be built into the actual tubes.

Posted on 25/05/2019 07:43

But if there is a good market for replacement tubes ,as noted when in a camping store when one of the staff said they were one of their" best selling lines"surprised

richardandros replied on 25/05/2019 08:25

Posted on 25/05/2019 07:10 by

I have a feeling that punctures etc are specifically excluded from their warranty and given the hot weather we have been experiencing over the last few days, they are probably within their rights to argue that the tube has exploded due to too high a pressure. 

Not quite sure what one should do in a hot summer's day when going out. Half the pressure when going out and reinflate at dusk? Never owned an air awning but don't they have a pressure relief valve? 

Posted on 25/05/2019 08:25

I believe there are one or two on the market that do have a pressure relief valve - but not the Kampa.  I use an electric pump on ours and always set it to a couple of psi lower than the recommended level. If it is really hot, I have let a bit of air out if I think there is a danger of it bursting - no big deal.

mickysf replied on 25/05/2019 08:43

Posted on 25/05/2019 08:43

Our daughter had an air which not only burst but split the containing sleeve beyond repair. After being sent replacemants for the wrong awning we have had great difficulty finding the correct ones. It's out of warranty and we are told that newer models mean replacement parts for previous models are drying up. She is awaiting the latest delivery hoping this is correct as fabricating your own is neigh on impossible as folk can do with metal or fibreglass poles.

Cornersteady replied on 25/05/2019 10:23

Posted on 25/05/2019 10:23

According to Kampa at how temparture affects the air presure in the air poles,and increasing the temperature doesn’t has a great effect on the pressure as you would think.

At 20C the pressure should be 9 psi, but increasing the temperature to 30C only raises the pressure to 9.7 psi, even 40C will only get it to 10.5 psi.

They say that their air poles have been tested to 22 psi. This might help the OP when claiming?

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook