Update on puppy

JoJo9 replied on 05/08/2017 14:09

Posted on 05/08/2017 14:09

Four months ago I wrote about our six month old Border Collie who was terrified of traffic. We eventually decided to get a dog trainer to see if she could suggest anything. To be honest I think it was a waste of time and money. There has been a slight improvement but there is no way we could take Bramble into a town. We are hoping it is something he eventually grows out of but if not then we have to adapt our lifestyle to suit him. There are lots of positives. He loves travelling in the car and just ignores traffic flying past at high speed. He is great in the caravan and has already been away with us three times. Bramble is well known on our estate and I have never known a dog make so many people smile. People often stop to ask why he keeps lying down when a car goes past. Most important of all, Bramble is the most loyal and loving dog and he has made the loss of our previous dog Poppy a little easier.

HelenandTrevor replied on 05/08/2017 14:46

Posted on 05/08/2017 14:46

Really pleased your Border Collie is enjoying the caravaning, lots of dogs are not happy in busy towns, much prefer countryside walks.wink

Our collie is still not that happy travelling, although he has improved since we first had him.

Border Collies are wonderfully loyal and loving,  best of luck with Bramble the positives certainly out way the negatives. smile

Kerry Watkins replied on 05/08/2017 15:15

Posted on 05/08/2017 15:15

Lovely news Jo Jo. We know exactly how you feel. We have just chosen a new puppy who is one week old as your beloved Scooby was put to sleep in January. We thought the same thing as you.

Tinwheeler replied on 05/08/2017 16:20

Posted on 05/08/2017 16:20

I'm pleased for you JoJo. Bramble sounds a lovely dog and it says a lot for you that you're prepared to adapt your life to cope with his fear of traffic. 

DSB replied on 05/08/2017 22:10

Posted on 05/08/2017 22:10

The most important thing is that he feels happy. They all have their funny little ways.  I've no doubt that he's a delight.

David 

Milothedog replied on 06/08/2017 09:20

Posted on 06/08/2017 09:20

I have no doubt that Bramble will overcome these little issues in time. Our younger BC, who we got at 11 weeks was frighten'd of traffic and was terrible when it came to travelling in the car. He would pee with fear if we put him in the car. we just took things gently and at his pace. He is now 2 and completely over the traffic thing and whilst not happy about it will get in the car on command and settle down with our other BC who is 8.

Stick with it, you'll get there smile

Outdoor Lady replied on 06/08/2017 12:53

Posted on 06/08/2017 12:53

Just a little tip that we found very useful when our dogs were small.

We live in a rural location so our dogs didn't see many people, other dogs or see/hear traffic when they were puppies. I used to take them to a supermarket car park, sit on the bench (most have them) and people used to come up and stroke them, most people love puppies, they also got used to seeing and listening to cars which were driving slowly. A few treats were handed out if they showed any signs of distress. One of our dogs also didn't travel well when small and ginger biscuits help with that. Both now are seasoned travellers and love everything and everybody.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook