He's missing the boss

katieb replied on 16/02/2017 17:40

Posted on 16/02/2017 17:40

i never realised what a hold my older dog had over the younger one until she died.  I always did call her Little Dictator and her autocratic legacy extends beyond the grave. 

When she was alive, the old dog had total control over the food bowls and whichever one the boy was directed to by us, she decided that was her bowl and pushed him out of the way. The boy won't touch his food now without lots of encouragement from us - its like he's waiting for orders from the real boss.

Also we can't mention her name in front of him as when we do he starts looking around the house for her.  I think he really misses her, although, because of her control over him, I thought he would raise the flag when she died.

i guess we'll just have to try to be pack leaders from now on.  It doesn't come easy to either of us!

Takethedogalong replied on 16/02/2017 22:16

Posted on 16/02/2017 22:16

How long ago did you lose your other dog katieb? I think they do miss one another, I know our dogs do. We are rarely a one dog household, as we have seen the sheer joy they have playing together, even if the first introductions can be a tad fraught. If we are in a situation where we only have one, we do take more time for the lone dog, lots of fuss, plenty of reassurance, and luckily we never have to leave them alone, they go everywhere with us. Dogs do pine, for their owners, for their canine chums, but they also get through it with lots of love and attention. All the best.

Pippah45 replied on 17/02/2017 10:03

Posted on 17/02/2017 10:03

Aww poor chap - and yes they definitely mourn lost companions human or canine.  I have always fed dogs separately - to be sure of your scenario not happening.  Being pack leader is very important in my opinion although I suppose it depends a bit on breed.  If I let my GSDs rule the roost I would have been in a lot of trouble!  For me I wouldn't want a small dog to rule my roost either!  I think they are happier when they have boundaries. 

katieb replied on 17/02/2017 17:55

Posted on 17/02/2017 17:55

Thanks for the comments.  Although there will always be a Gina shaped hole in our hearts I do know things get better with time.

its not been that long we lost the boss so we're still getting used to the new order.  I do believe I'm now number one in our pack of three!

Our last dog was our first and I guess we made many errors.  She was extremely strong willed and I'm afraid we did let her get away with a lot, including sharing the bed.  Being a whippet, no real harm was done as she got her way with us mainly through charm and caused no problems with other people. The boy is a different character - more laid back and willing to take orders but I'm sure that's partly because we have always been firmer with him and the old dog trained him well too.

clarinetman replied on 10/03/2017 22:47

Posted on 10/03/2017 22:47

Hi 

we are going through the same issues our older dog, Patch died aged 18 yrs in September and this really affected  our 12 yr old Daisy, she is so sad, cannot be left has to sleep in her basket in our bedroom she is losing weight it is as if she has given up.

They never seemed to have a lot to do with each other but were always together, she follows me everywhere and if left even in the car she gets really agitated and howls like a wolf, when Patch was alive we never heard a peep from them wether left or in the house with us, they always slept in the kitchen in their own baskets and where happy to go into kennels for short spells. Spoke to several professional dog trainers and vet but nothing is working to help her get over losing Patch.

hope in time she recovers.

Pippah45 replied on 11/03/2017 09:51

Posted on 11/03/2017 09:51

Clarinetman I took on an elderly rescue dog and she was so smelly the first night I tried the kitchen - that didn't work - the noise was amazing for an otherwise placid soul!  I tried to get someone to have her to stay while I went abroad - and he tried to barricade the stairs - she managed to move a hefty barricade to get to the bedroom!  Have you thought of adopting (or fostering) an older dog to keep yours company?  The Dog's Trust are looking for foster homes all the time. 

katieb replied on 11/03/2017 21:54

Posted on 11/03/2017 21:54

Clarinetman - I hope things will get better for Daisy but its natural for all of us to grieve for a while when we lose those close to us.  Like you, our two were never that close to each other in the normal way but being with someone 24/7 you kind of get used to their presence and Miss them when they're gone.

Pippah's idea of adopting an older dog might help - the Dogs Trust will always let you have one on a 'trial' basis and would take it back if things really didn't work out.

We've decided not to get another dog to replace our first one as there's no guarantee the boy will get on with her and in the last few weeks I think he is beginning to like being the only one.  We've not tried kennels yet - that might be a step too far at the moment.  The old dog effectively ruled the kennels staff, just as she did us - she always got the tastiest treats out of them by incorrigible begging and deploying all the winning ways she could and the boy also benefitted from this, as the staff wanted to treat them equally.  Likewise, at the vets, she insisted upon a treat before any treatment and the vet has continued this practice with the boy - no wonder he misses her!

i really do hope Daisy recovers her zest for life - let us know how things progress.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook