French dog category ?

Phil69 replied on 12/02/2017 15:35

Posted on 12/02/2017 15:35

Hi I have a well trained Gsd . and considering taking him to France but I am not sure what category he is . although not listed I think he maybe classed as 2 guard dog .

eurortraveller replied on 12/02/2017 18:15

Posted on 12/02/2017 18:15

Click Overseas Holidays at the top of this page. The Useful Information there tells you the categories listing which breeds of dogs are banned in France. But individual campsites may have some restrictions of their own. 

Pippah45 replied on 12/02/2017 19:59

Posted on 12/02/2017 19:59

GSDs are fine in France - but they aren't as keen on Rotties.  Spain is worse and it's Rotties again that cop it.  I had to ask my vet to list one of my dogs as GSD cross - in fact she is crossed with a Rottie!  There are an awful lot of handbag dogs in France and few proper dogs wink I did notice quite a few looks from French people sort of saying "you better have your dog under control"  despite the fact that they routinely don't have the little monsters on lead when they should be - so they rush up barking!  On one site a very elderly caravanner had 3 little dogs loose on her pitch and they rushed at mine who sat patiently with a pained look on her face while Madame got into quite a panic as to what sex my dog was!  Since she was very immobile you might think she would keep her dogs on a lead - but OH NO!   I have never met with campsite restrictions either - except on numbers.  I used ACSI for finding my sites and that tells you if you can have any dogs or how many - often 1 or 2. 

I wasted a bit of energy worrying about the dog - but the powers that be don't appear to be the slightest interested.  In fact on arrival at Roskoff I offered the dog passport along with mine - and the Officer just said "Woof" at me!  smile  I carry muzzles but never put them on so far!  Have a great time. 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook