Dog's sense of smell

crown green bowler replied on 14/01/2017 11:40

Posted on 14/01/2017 11:40

We have always known that dog's have great smell, and about 40 times better than us, but this week was time again to to give our two whippets there worming tablets. We have always had trouble getting molly to take a tablet, so I cut the tablet into the smallest peaces that was possible and mixed it in with her morning meal. She took her time eating and left every peace of tablet in her bowl, there must have been about 20 small peaces so I put them in the middle of a peace of corned beef and Hay Ho all gone.smile

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 14/01/2017 12:28

Posted on 14/01/2017 12:28

CGB, I use a small block of cheese, cut a slit into it, slot in the tab & seal. Once they see the cheese it don't touch the sides. Dogs are clever-but not clever enough to over rule their greedlaughing

huskydog replied on 14/01/2017 12:35

Posted on 14/01/2017 12:35

Like rocky I use  cheese, but cream cheese ,I break up the tablet and mix it with the cream cheese and let her lick it off the spoon , that way you know she has taken it smile

KASTARIS replied on 14/01/2017 14:50

Posted on 14/01/2017 14:50

Sounds just like ours was.. she would even sniff it out in cheese, meat, bread and jam, cooked dinner of green beans carrots potato and  gravy..the whole cooked dinner was desperation on my partcry yeah she would lap it up but leave the bits of tabs......so what I used to do was get two spoons and crush the tabs between them till powdery.. pop into egg cup add boiling water let it cool.. scoop up with a syringe.. find dog!!!.. grab dog!!.. open her mouth and squirt down throat...job done.smile Saffie wised up to this in the end though she wouldn't even open her mouth so I had to prise the syringe between clenched teeth.

crown green bowler replied on 14/01/2017 17:12

Posted on 14/01/2017 14:50 by KASTARIS

Sounds just like ours was.. she would even sniff it out in cheese, meat, bread and jam, cooked dinner of green beans carrots potato and  gravy..the whole cooked dinner was desperation on my partcry yeah she would lap it up but leave the bits of tabs......so what I used to do was get two spoons and crush the tabs between them till powdery.. pop into egg cup add boiling water let it cool.. scoop up with a syringe.. find dog!!!.. grab dog!!.. open her mouth and squirt down throat...job done.smile Saffie wised up to this in the end though she wouldn't even open her mouth so I had to prise the syringe between clenched teeth.

Posted on 14/01/2017 17:12

This sounds just great,  I would love to know what dog's are thinking when we are trying to out smart them with things like this, and they are thinking  No way are they going to make me swallow that.frown.

moulesy replied on 14/01/2017 17:34

Posted on 14/01/2017 17:34

I wish the cheese method would work with Harry. We've had to give him an antibiotic pill twice a day this week since his foot op. He loves the cheese but carefully eats that then spits out the pill! We've tried everything including sausage but he always spots the pill! (Someone suggested warm sausage so that they smell the gravy/fat content - might give that a go.) At the moment we have to resort to one of us holding his mouth open and the other ramming the pill down his throat! frown

richardandros replied on 16/01/2017 07:40

Posted on 16/01/2017 07:40

I know this doesn't help - but there are some advantages in having a very greedy dog, then!  I just put the tablets in a handful of her food and the whole lot disappears in seconds. We did have this problem with one of our cats, though.  After being bitten and scratched to bits, two vets gave up trying to get tablets down him and injected the medication instead!

Pippah45 replied on 16/01/2017 11:27

Posted on 16/01/2017 11:27

Yes richros - my lab has so far taken any tablet offered while the other one guesses whatever it is hidden in - she is dead suspicious even titbits from my cooking she queries!  I have just gone the forcing route and she is fine with that - she knows what's coming and sits - lets me open the mouth and stuff the pill right down her throat.  Then she gets a big fuss!   Coming home from France the vets gives the lab her pills and allows me to do the other one! 

I think you might find that its more than 40 times more powerful than our sense of smell - one of my nieces has a lab that works at sniffing cancer everyday really awesome work.  As  seen interviewed by Ann Robinson.  A sniffer dog at a US airport smelt a fingernail sized piece of orange peel in our snack bag!  Not sure why we shouldn't have been carrying fruit but it set off a search! 

Milopearlindie replied on 18/01/2017 22:43

Posted on 18/01/2017 22:43

I had this issue as well until one day I dropped the tablet on the floor and he was so desperate to eat what I dropped he gobbled it up. So I just chuck it on the floor now and it seems to work well...

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook