Dogs kennel fees!

ChrisRogers replied on 01/02/2017 17:21

Posted on 01/02/2017 17:21

We have decided to take Zach to Germany with us as he is a young dog, cycling the Moselle Valley area, we will be away for just under 3 weeks. Having worked out what it would have cost for him to stay in the kennels, well that saving has just about covered the cost of the channel tunnel crossing. Rabies jab done today for him and his pet passport is in the system.

His trailer training is well under way!!

Tinwheeler replied on 01/02/2017 18:48

Posted on 01/02/2017 18:48

I think it's better for Zach to be with you. You've not had him long and 3 weeks in kennels could cause him distress.

Tinwheeler replied on 01/02/2017 18:48

Posted on 01/02/2017 18:48

I think it's better for Zach to be with you. You've not had him long and 3 weeks in kennels could cause him distress.

Pippah45 replied on 02/02/2017 10:30

Posted on 02/02/2017 10:30

Well done you.  I like the trailer idea except for getting it packed in somewhere!  I use a thing called a "Walky-Dog" that keeps the dog in a safe place beside the bike - (I have two dogs on mine)

http://www.snowpawstore.com/bikejoring-cycling-with-your-dog/walky-dog.html?gclid=CITOnLKZ8dECFSyT7QodpB8B0w

other stores available.  It is really simple and effective and mine got used to it quite quickly - they were a bit bemused when I turned it round to work in France but soon realised what to do!  My labrador is quite good at getting under wheels when off lead but she has never got in the way while on the walky dog.  (and before anyone mentions my mishap I am certain the dogs had nothing to do with it!)

Metheven replied on 02/02/2017 11:40

Posted on 02/02/2017 11:40

Very brave Pippah, my dog is excellent on the lead but even I would be wary if we came across something that darted out in front of us.

I can imagine me and Cassie disappearing across a field just behind the running rabbit laughing providing I was still on the bike surprised

Pippah45 replied on 02/02/2017 13:54

Posted on 02/02/2017 13:54

Dave because it is attached beneath the seat it remains pretty stable even in the event of rabbits and cats!  They did get it up to 14 mph pulling after a cat in front - but that was fine by me - and the brakes would have stopped us!  It's important to have harnesses not collars though or you could hurt the dog.  My dogs are a combined weight of some 50 odd kilos and my weight is sufficient for control so you would have not trouble if that's the dog I met! 

Metheven replied on 02/02/2017 15:02

Posted on 02/02/2017 13:54 by Pippah45

Dave because it is attached beneath the seat it remains pretty stable even in the event of rabbits and cats!  They did get it up to 14 mph pulling after a cat in front - but that was fine by me - and the brakes would have stopped us!  It's important to have harnesses not collars though or you could hurt the dog.  My dogs are a combined weight of some 50 odd kilos and my weight is sufficient for control so you would have not trouble if that's the dog I met! 

Posted on 02/02/2017 15:02

Probably a lot safer/practical than it looks Pippah, and yes the use of a harness makes sense smile Must admit to not seeing one before.

Metheven replied on 02/02/2017 15:07

Posted on 02/02/2017 15:07

Much better to take him with you Chris, I'm sure he will be the better being with yourselves rather than kenneled.

Ours comes with us each year, enjoy your trip. smile

ChrisRogers replied on 02/02/2017 15:16

Posted on 02/02/2017 10:30 by Pippah45

Well done you.  I like the trailer idea except for getting it packed in somewhere!  I use a thing called a "Walky-Dog" that keeps the dog in a safe place beside the bike - (I have two dogs on mine)

http://www.snowpawstore.com/bikejoring-cycling-with-your-dog/walky-dog.html?gclid=CITOnLKZ8dECFSyT7QodpB8B0w

other stores available.  It is really simple and effective and mine got used to it quite quickly - they were a bit bemused when I turned it round to work in France but soon realised what to do!  My labrador is quite good at getting under wheels when off lead but she has never got in the way while on the walky dog.  (and before anyone mentions my mishap I am certain the dogs had nothing to do with it!)

Posted on 02/02/2017 15:16

Pippah, the trailer is easy to pack away, quick release wheels, a pin holds in the towbar with a clip to stop it coming out, on the top is a bar held in by a pin, the bar drops and the sides fold in.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook