Do Mayday carry pets??

JaRT replied on 15/07/2017 14:28

Posted on 15/07/2017 14:28

We are having to cancel our UK and Europe breakdown cover with our Nationwide Flex Plus account because they are changing the terms of the cover regarding carriage of pets from September 21st 2017.

The wording of the new policy specifically excludes pets (other than assistance dogs) and does not count them as passengers. The product therefore will not meet our needs as we always holiday with our JRT.

I am now looking for alternatives  - Does anybody know what Mayday's pet carriage policy is? I can't seem to find it in their T&C's or in a previous post on here.

Many thanks in advance.

JVB66 replied on 15/07/2017 14:50

Posted on 15/07/2017 14:50

With Mayday we have found normally any Pets have to travel in your vehicle on the recovery vehicle,but it is up to the driver, as Mayday/Green Flag use contracted companies 

briantimber replied on 15/07/2017 14:51

Posted on 15/07/2017 14:51

My reply has just been lost to cyber space,Grrrrrr, stupid forumyell

In short, I don't know, hope somebody can post the correct answer for us all to see.....cool

briantimber replied on 15/07/2017 14:57

Posted on 15/07/2017 14:54 by huskydog

It would be best to phone Mayday ,at least you would get an answer straight from the horses mouth.....

Posted on 15/07/2017 14:57

sealed Best keep quiet bt....

JaRT replied on 15/07/2017 15:17

Posted on 15/07/2017 14:54 by huskydog

It would be best to phone Mayday ,at least you would get an answer straight from the horses mouth.....

Posted on 15/07/2017 15:17

TBH I was hoping for answers from an actual experience point of view rather than what Mayday state the policy is.

Sometimes what a company states it does and what it actually does can be two different things.

According to Mayday who I have just rang they said they may have to find another agent who is willing to carry the dog if an initially allocated company/contractor states they won't - eg due to allergy reasons.

Opting to carry the dog in the vehicle being recovered wasn't mentioned even though it is clear from JVB66's answer this can in fact be an option.

JVB66 replied on 15/07/2017 15:26

Posted on 15/07/2017 15:17 by JaRT

TBH I was hoping for answers from an actual experience point of view rather than what Mayday state the policy is.

Sometimes what a company states it does and what it actually does can be two different things.

According to Mayday who I have just rang they said they may have to find another agent who is willing to carry the dog if an initially allocated company/contractor states they won't - eg due to allergy reasons.

Opting to carry the dog in the vehicle being recovered wasn't mentioned even though it is clear from JVB66's answer this can in fact be an option.

Posted on 15/07/2017 15:26

We have on two occasions used Mayday and the answer that mayday gave is correct but both times our dog seemed happier in our vehicle, it may also be  that as they do numerous recoveries per day, some other "recovered" persons might be "upset" by pet hairs but i know that some drivers allow them in their recovery vehicles,

huskydog replied on 15/07/2017 15:44

Posted on 15/07/2017 15:17 by JaRT

Posted on 15/07/2017 15:44

So, if the time comes you break down and need the recovery ,you can tell them that "Fred" on the CC forum told you it's ok to carry the pet in the recovery truck !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JaRT replied on 15/07/2017 15:56

Posted on 15/07/2017 15:44 by huskydog

So, if the time comes you break down and need the recovery ,you can tell them that "Fred" on the CC forum told you it's ok to carry the pet in the recovery truck !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted on 15/07/2017 15:56

Well no not quite, it merely highlights that the policy as stated can differ from people's actual experiences, which is why I asked the question in the first place.

It's good to see some carriers/contractors will give another option that deviates from Mayday's official line.

JVB66 replied on 15/07/2017 17:44

Posted on 15/07/2017 15:44 by huskydog

Posted on 15/07/2017 17:44

I do not think you read the post correctlywink

clarinetman replied on 15/07/2017 20:45

Posted on 15/07/2017 20:45

Hi my experience was whe the recovery vehicle turned up he said he was not allowed to take the dogs (2) parson Russell's .

I said I will have ring the call Centre to get them to send someone who will take the dogs to which the driver said ok I will do it as a favor,

I said no favors ieter do it or not I pay the fees for the service not favors in the end he took us all in his filthiest recovery vehicle imaginable.

I emailed the club about this and a subsequent issue without any answers being given, I think the answer to your question is yes but you my have to insist.

hope this helps

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook