Best dog friendly sites for motorhomers please

StealthyJax replied on 24/06/2023 14:47

Posted on 24/06/2023 14:47

Hello - I'm looking for recommendations please.

We started glamping in Dorset and Devon, then have been renting motorhomes the last couple of years for UK trips with our whippet, Dodger. We joined the club despite not owning our own yet. 

We've so far stayed at Beaulieu, Black Rock, Abbotsbury, Cheddar, Brecon, Rookesbury Park and are planning another week this September.

Our criteria is quite specific... Somewhere that, due to motorhome, there are dog friendly pubs, restaurants and interesting places within walking distance from the site. I like an old building, garden or AONB.

We rent from LandCruise in Oving near Chichester on the south coast so the timescale of a week and the relatively slow rattling drive in a motorhome (that is not our own, therefore limited time and investment goes into silencing the crockery, cutlery, utensils, oven etc. upon taking the keys after 3pm!) mean that we're limited on distance. We're unlikely to drive any more than 3 hours in a hop - we only just made it to Cheddar before they closed for the night.

Has anyone any suggestions of their favourite sites to visit please? 

Takethedogalong replied on 20/07/2023 11:35

Posted on 20/07/2023 11:35

Hello SJ, only just found your post, hidden away.😁 Sorry, don’t know the South Coast area where you are well enough to give you any recommends for that area, but if it’s not too far (just over 3 hours on a good run, not too many hold ups), but you could consider Exeter area? The Club Site is on the racecourse, and is brilliant for dogs, and isn’t too badly priced compared with some Club Sites. You have easy access to Exeter city itself, up onto Dartmoor, which is fabulous, and you can easily get down towards Dawlish, Teignmouth and further South to Torbay area, so there’s a lot to see and do. Site has a bit of road noise, but the small heathland area is much quieter. 

As for the rattling pots, pans and cutlery, a kitchen roll is your friend…..just put a couple of sheets between pan and lid, wrap cutlery, and sick a sheet on outside of mugs and then shove back into storage. Take out grill pan and oven shelves until you arrive, then hope the rotten roads have been re surfaced.🤣

Hope you get some other recommends from folks who know your area better than us, but Exeter is a great location, plenty to see and do, come rain or shine. I am assuming (🤞) you do use the MH for going out, otherwise you need to look up public transport. Good luck

Tinwheeler replied on 20/07/2023 11:43

Posted on 20/07/2023 11:43

I’m thinking about what’s within reach. Meanwhile, love the whippet 😀

Takethedogalong replied on 20/07/2023 11:54

Posted on 20/07/2023 11:54

I’ve just realised that SJ said walking distance, so Stover Club Site might be better, got Trago Mills over the road. However, it is easy to get onto Dartmoor with MH through Bovey Tracey.👍

Tinwheeler replied on 20/07/2023 12:04

Posted on 20/07/2023 12:04

I was thinking of Stover non-facility site too. Trago isn’t far and it’s not much of a drive into Torbay. Beware though of the narrow lanes beyond Bovey for accessing Dartmoor - they could cause the forfeit of a rental deposit! Best of all with Stover is the adjoining country park👍

Maybe, SJ, you could consider a night a bit closer to home before moving on? That would bring more sites within reach such as Stover or Hurn Lane with its access to miles of beach for your whippet to run those future of 8 circuits🙂

brue replied on 20/07/2023 12:26

Posted on 20/07/2023 12:26

Exmoor House is good for dog owners, Dulverton is very dog friendly and there are miles of walks from the site, right up onto Exmoor itself. Exbridge Lakes is also good for walks and an excellent pub with riverside gardens just a short stroll away. Both sites are near to each other so the choice is yours, you could try them both. smile

PS When Steamer Quay reopens you can't beat it for nearby interest in Totnes and strolls along the Dart. 

Bakers2 replied on 20/07/2023 12:43

Posted on 20/07/2023 12:43

What about coming up the east coast?

Maybe an overnight on the way up? Maybe a pub stopover free if you eat/drink there? Takethedogalong would point you in the right direction there 🤞as the name escapes me at the moment.

Great Yarmouth is great for walking to the beach, dunes and then right the way down towards the town. Good fishing museum. More to explore if you take the motorhome off site.

A CL with loads of walks from site into a small town, along the river or round the fields is Burnham Wick Farm. Fabulous wild life from your motorhome. Owls hares etc amongst the horse paddocks. Lots to explore on the peninsular too.

Kent's a possibility too. Need to give it some thought myself.

I agree on rattles suggestion, tea towels are good to wrap things like oven shelves too. Folded over the cutlery drawer before closing.....

eurortraveller replied on 20/07/2023 13:01

Posted on 20/07/2023 13:01

Racecourse sites at Warwick  (Club)  or Stratford on Avon (independent).

Both just about 3 hours from your base, both have easy walk to town and longer walks for dog

Takethedogalong replied on 20/07/2023 14:31

Posted on 20/07/2023 12:43 by Bakers2

What about coming up the east coast?

Maybe an overnight on the way up? Maybe a pub stopover free if you eat/drink there? Takethedogalong would point you in the right direction there 🤞as the name escapes me at the moment.

Great Yarmouth is great for walking to the beach, dunes and then right the way down towards the town. Good fishing museum. More to explore if you take the motorhome off site.

A CL with loads of walks from site into a small town, along the river or round the fields is Burnham Wick Farm. Fabulous wild life from your motorhome. Owls hares etc amongst the horse paddocks. Lots to explore on the peninsular too.

Kent's a possibility too. Need to give it some thought myself.

I agree on rattles suggestion, tea towels are good to wrap things like oven shelves too. Folded over the cutlery drawer before closing.....

Posted on 20/07/2023 14:31

Good call Bakers, there are lots of pubs that allow MH stopovers, but usually one or two nights. Suggest looking on Searchforsites website. Plenty to go at on there😁

brue replied on 20/07/2023 15:17

Posted on 20/07/2023 13:01 by eurortraveller

Racecourse sites at Warwick  (Club)  or Stratford on Avon (independent).

Both just about 3 hours from your base, both have easy walk to town and longer walks for dog

Posted on 20/07/2023 15:17

Yes, Warwick has it all, history by the bucket load, Warwick Common next to the site, the canal, St Nicholas Park by the Avon with the best view of Warwick Castle from the bridge adjoining the park. smile (You'd have to take it in turns to visit the castle but it's worth it.)

moulesy replied on 20/07/2023 16:10

Posted on 20/07/2023 16:10

I'm surprised no-one has suggested Cirencester Park  yet. Must be within the OP's radius. Huge enclosed dog area and lovely walk through the park, where dogs are also allowed off lead, into the town itself where there are any number of dog friendly pubs and restaurants. 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook