A sad goodbye to Lady

moulesy replied on 24/05/2024 16:07

Posted on 24/05/2024 16:07

I mentioned on the general chat thread earlier that, sadly, we had to say a final goodbye to our lovely old girl Lady yesterday. I guess this is the right place for a few more thoughts.

She came to us from Northern Ireland in November 2015, having spent the first 5 years of her life in kennelling - not exactly mistreated, but very much used for showing and breeding. It was a very stormy bonfire weekend; she'd had a rough ferry crossing and 2 car journeys down to Burford where we went to pick her up on a day of torrential rain. And she really didn't want anything to do with us when we took her for a first walk off lead in the paddock there. That was until we opened the tailgate of the car whereupon she leapt straight in and curled up - dry and warm at last!

When we got her home we had to introduce her to our old boy Harry and boy, did she love him - but she was always going to be top dog and he certainly knew his place in the pecking order. I think it was a bit strange to her to be living indoors, she had areas where she was quite happy to be on her own but gradually got more confident about being with us (though she was the only dog we've had who never made any effort to come upstairs when I was working in the study - we never did work that one out!)

She qualified as a Pets as Therapy dog and it was one of the weekly highlights at the local primary school when Mrs M took her in to be read to by various children.

We thought we'd lost her 16 months ago when she suddenly collapsed at the end of a long walk - we thought she'd had a stroke and prepared for the worst, but the vet diagnosed something called vestibular syndrome which affects their balance and said she should recover which, in time she did, though she was never as active again as she had been.

She struggled badly over the past couple of weeks and we just had to make the heartbreaking decision to let her go to save her from any more stress. We've been in the same position many times before, but it never gets any easier to actually make the phone call to the vets.The vet who came to our home was actually a former student of mine and was very kind in dealing with the situation.

We shall miss her terribly of course, but doubtless Ralph will help us come to terms with things over the next few weeks.

This is the last picture we took of her and Ralph together up in Derbyshire for the Setter Walk just three weeks ago ..... and a rather less flattering one of her in "comfort mode" in the caravan!

Tinwheeler replied on 24/05/2024 16:16

Posted on 24/05/2024 16:16

It’s a heartbreaking time, M. Yes, having Ralph will help as will your happy memories of Lady and your outings with her.

Takethedogalong replied on 25/05/2024 11:55

Posted on 25/05/2024 11:55

Thinking of you M. You gave Lady a fabulous second life, the kind every dog should experience. As you say, many of us have been there, and no doubt will be again. Just treasure those memoriesđŸ¥°

Amesford replied on 27/05/2024 12:40

Posted on 27/05/2024 12:40

Sorry to hear about loss, we have just lost our Jack Russell he was just a puppy when he was found wondering the streets of Birmingham our son was friendly with a police property officer who was looking after him as he was deemed too small for the police dog compound ( that's what the son told us ?) so of course our son bought him home when he was not claimed, he was estimated at 19 years 4 months when he passed away so its 19 years since we returned to caravanning 

Tinwheeler replied on 27/05/2024 13:22

Posted on 27/05/2024 13:22

That’s a good age, Amesford. I reckon he landed on his paws when he moved in with you. 

Amesford replied on 27/05/2024 17:44

Posted on 27/05/2024 13:22 by Tinwheeler

That’s a good age, Amesford. I reckon he landed on his paws when he moved in with you. 

Posted on 27/05/2024 17:44

He certainly did, we even had other Jack Russell owners knocking our door wishing to breed off him so his genes are out there, sadly his son we had died of cancer some time ago 

moulesy replied on 12/06/2024 10:46

Posted on 12/06/2024 10:46

We went to the vets yesterday to collect Lady's ashes and bring her back home. We will bury them alongside George and Harry in our back garden in view of the kitchen window. Traditionally we buy a red rose bush to plant nearby but this time Mrs M has found a pink variety called "Lovely Lady" so very fitting really. smile

Bakers2 replied on 12/06/2024 11:00

Posted on 12/06/2024 11:00

I'm thinking of you both.

My mum bought a Lovely Lady rose to celebrate the birth of her first great granddaughter. Its a beautiful rose. All went well as 2 more great granddaughters arrived before she passed. A 3rd great granddaughter arrived then a great grandson - who is an honorary lady đŸ˜‰.  We await a new arrival in September, will that be an honourary girl?

When we sold our family home I dug up the rose along with an unnamed one which mum and dad bought they last time they went to Woolworths together. I had them in pots, put them in the ground, the potted them again for our move. I'm delighted to say they're in our garden now and both doing well. Offering blooms on birthdays and anniversaries. I hope you have the same success.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook