Printing wildlife (and other) photographs

ValDa replied on 12/01/2017 11:26

Posted on 12/01/2017 11:26

Recently we've had some disappointing results when printing some of our photographs. We're trying to get together a collection of favourites to frame and put up in our house in France. We've used a variety of photo papers, and I just wonder if anyone else has any particular favourite paper which  prints successfully.  We have an HP 8600 printer, which has new inks, but on photo paper (both matt and gloss finish) the ink seems to run and bleed and the overall image is very poor.  On 'normal' paper the quality of the printing is better, and the detail much clearer, but the photo looks a bit 'dead'.  

When printing to photo paper we select the appropriate settings, but still no joy.  Our previous HP printer used to work fine - but we haven't done much printing recently.  Anyone got any tips? We might even invest in a new printer if someone can recommend one which prints photographs as well as our old one!   (Trouble is I can't remember what model it was!!!)

Briang replied on 12/01/2017 11:52

Posted on 12/01/2017 11:52

Don't know about HP Printers, The one i use is a cannon pro 9000 mk11 it has 8 ink tanks, I only use cannon inks ( don't buy compatible inks) It will print up to A3+. The paper i use is Ilford Galerie Professional inkjet photo range Prestige instant dry fantastic quality prints, what more can a say.

Brian.

dmiller555 replied on 12/01/2017 16:48

Posted on 12/01/2017 16:48

I agree with Bill, I have used HP in the past but now use an Epson P600 A3 printer. Ilford paper is good but there are many others available. I have published a couple of short articles about paper and ink choice on my website: davids.org.uk 

You don't say how many or what size images you wish to print but it may be better to have them made commercially.

My wife makes her colour prints on a Canon Pixma A4 inkjet and the quality is very good especially when you consider they cost less than £100. We use third party inks in it with very good results.

Briang replied on 12/01/2017 18:36

Posted on 12/01/2017 16:48 by dmiller555

I agree with Bill, I have used HP in the past but now use an Epson P600 A3 printer. Ilford paper is good but there are many others available. I have published a couple of short articles about paper and ink choice on my website: davids.org.uk 

You don't say how many or what size images you wish to print but it may be better to have them made commercially.

My wife makes her colour prints on a Canon Pixma A4 inkjet and the quality is very good especially when you consider they cost less than £100. We use third party inks in it with very good results.

Posted on 12/01/2017 18:36

You shouldn't use non canon inks in any canon printer as it will destroy the ink cartridge holder. I have printed over 1400 A4 prints and over 90 A3 prints and always used genuine Canon inks

dmiller555 replied on 12/01/2017 18:51

Posted on 12/01/2017 18:36 by Briang

You shouldn't use non canon inks in any canon printer as it will destroy the ink cartridge holder. I have printed over 1400 A4 prints and over 90 A3 prints and always used genuine Canon inks

Posted on 12/01/2017 18:51

Good for you, I'm sure that Canon will be pleased to read your post.

My experience differs. 

Oneputt replied on 12/01/2017 19:12

Posted on 12/01/2017 19:12

I don't bother to print photos at home, just pop pics onto an SD card and pop down to Boots, other print shops available.

greylag replied on 12/01/2017 19:31

Posted on 12/01/2017 19:31

I never print at home, I find it is very expensive, quality is variable and can only print up to A4.

I concentrate on wildlife as I am retired and taking pic's keeps me on the go.  I send any printing that I want done to DSCL ( any search will bring it up), the quality is top notch, A4's around a pound, A3 not much more.  I can often send in an order and receive it back next day, not every time, but usually.

The attached picture I had blown to A3, the quality was spot on, I could never do this at home and DSCL has never produced anything less than brilliant.

Hope this helps.

Oneputt replied on 12/01/2017 23:28

Posted on 12/01/2017 23:28

Good tip Greylag, just looked at their site, have ordered a calendar just to confirm quality.  BTW, another great picture, what camera, lenses do you use?

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook