Growing lavender

moulesy replied on 15/04/2023 10:51

Posted on 15/04/2023 10:51

Just hoping for a bit of advice about planting lavendar. Last year we dug out our plants which had got overgrown and woody. Now we're looking to replace them but ideally wanting varieties which stay small. So does anyone have any good ideas, I know there are lots of keen gardeners on the forum. We've got normal soil and the beds get full sun (when there is any!) Any suggestions for varieties and the best time to plant them welcome. Also any suggestions for companion plants. 

Takethedogalong replied on 16/04/2023 11:38

Posted on 16/04/2023 11:38

Found this Moulesy, don’t have one myself, but might suit what you want.

https://www.hedgesdirect.co.uk/acatalog/Lavender_Little_Lady__Lavandula_angustifolia_Little_Lady_.html

I think the key to trying to keep Lavenders small is careful and well timed cutting back, as they can start to get leggy and straggly. I give mine a cut after first flowering, keeping the wonderful seeds of course, and then always cut them into shape around end of September, well before any hint of a frost, maybe a tad later if it’s very warm. That said, I do lose a few, after our cold Winter this time, I have lost a few indeed.

I love Carnations and Roses as companion plants to Lavender. Carnations are easy, might need a bit of support, but just use twigs. Once you read about roses, and with some careful choices, they are easy to look after and give so much back. You don’t want any that get too tall. Or perhaps limit to two or three standard roses, underplanted with Lavenders and other things? You won’t need to bend down to prune then🤣

Edit, you could mix up Carnations (which can get tall) with lower growing Dianthus, smaller ans clove scented👍

Another idea, one that has worked well for me up at Mum’s, is to select some very colourful herbs to plant with your Lavenders. Rosemary, different Thymes, Sages, Chives, Fennel for a bit of height. There are some fabulous colourful herbs, Bronze Fennel, Tri colour Sage, etc….. they need similar care to Lavender, and of course you can cook with them😁 Sometimes it’s the contrasting foliage as well as colours that can look stunning, soft fennel, spiky rosemary and lavender, small bushy Thymes. Carnations in with these give that pop of colour and possible the best scent other than roses.

We have used the above company for plants before, had 100% success with every plant, so can recommend. 

Good luck with it. Like Brue, I am often seduced by those lovely French Lavenders, but they seldom last long in our weather. If you do go for herbs, DONT plant mint of any kind direct into ground, it’s an absolute thug and spreads like mad😱 I have a Chocolate mint, absolutely gorgeous scent and taste, but firmly in a pot!

moulesy replied on 17/04/2023 08:34

Posted on 17/04/2023 08:34

Thanks for those suggestions. We like the "little lady" variety - we have a very good local nursery so I got in touch with them at the weekend. They say to leave it till the middle of next month when the soil has has warmed up and plant then so that fits in with our trip away to Yorkshire and the Peak District at the start of May. smile

Takethedogalong replied on 17/04/2023 15:54

Posted on 17/04/2023 15:54

M, not sure which part of Yorkshire you are visiting, but if anywhere not far from York, this place might be of interest

https://www.yorkshirelavender.com/

Haven’t been personally to this one, but I do know the Norfolk Lavender Centre well, always lots of varieties, and helpful staff👍 We are off to Harlow Carr this Weds, and I suspect I will end up buying at least one Lavender plant🤣 

moulesy replied on 17/04/2023 16:01

Posted on 17/04/2023 16:01

Thanks for that - we've booked what looks like a lovely cottage in Addingham, right above the river, so not too far from York. (That's where Mr & Mrs M met at university  some 50+ years ago so the place has got a lot to answer for! surprised)

Takethedogalong replied on 17/04/2023 17:40

Posted on 17/04/2023 17:40

Lovely part of Yorkshire M, is Addingham. My Dad was from York, so we grew up knowing the place well, he loved it. 

RedKite replied on 18/04/2023 18:18

Posted on 18/04/2023 18:18

Another few Lavenders Moulesy that you could try Lavendula Augustifolia Blue Piston, Blue Caution and Lodden Blue all comapact and good colours, they all grow well here and I also have a lot of shrubby Salvias lots of different colour and have scented leaves and do not need to much watering once established I have quite a few of them and the flowers last well into the Autumn.

ABM replied on 19/04/2023 23:15

Posted on 19/04/2023 23:15

Not being a gardening bloke I just remembered your post when I took a trip to " Blue Diamond " ( I think )  Garden Centre at Bridgemere near Crewe / Nantwich and was surprised at the many trays of different named Lavenders  I'm sure they will have details of them on line  wink

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook