Folding bikes

wye replied on 27/11/2016 20:09

Posted on 27/11/2016 20:09

Hi fellow campers , looking for some avice on folding bikes , we have been taking bikes away for umpteen years in 3 caravans , on the car roof , back of the car and in the caravans , now thinking of the folding type , any advice , pro's and con's would be welcome .....

Tammygirl replied on 27/11/2016 22:22

Posted on 27/11/2016 22:22

We have 2 folding ebikes that we carry on the back of our motorhome. Not sure what I can say about them other than they are lighter than full bikes, smaller wheels take a bit of getting used to for some but we are ok with them. We can fold them and put them in the car when at home and want to go out for the day without taking the M/H.

JayEss replied on 28/11/2016 16:37

Posted on 28/11/2016 16:37

We have folding shopper type bikes.  Mine's an ebike but weighs pretty much the same as the steel framed non electric one. The frames are strong and the hinges are reassuringly secure.  The only problem I've ahd is forgetting to click my pedal down securely enough

We like them as they are easy to transport but I actually prefer a small wheeled bike as my transport as a youngster was a raleigh twenty Laughing

If you are hoping to travel some distance on them you may be better off with a larger wheeled folder, the Indigo flip is a good one.  Dahon do a good one too

wye replied on 01/12/2016 11:25

Posted on 01/12/2016 11:25

Hi , Oneputt the 24 inch flip , have you actually looked at one ?

Halfords only available on line , Amazon have them too.

Oneputt replied on 01/12/2016 12:43

Posted on 01/12/2016 12:43

Hey Wye, haven't tried one but actually got an intivation to go and try one in Loughbrough.  Haven't made it yet!

wye replied on 01/12/2016 12:54

Posted on 01/12/2016 12:54

Hey Wye, haven't tried one but actually got an intivation to go and try one in Loughbrough.  Haven't made it yet!

Write your comments here...

Ok cheers , do you know any store that stocks them ?

wye replied on 02/12/2016 07:48

Posted on 02/12/2016 07:48

Wye, have a look 

http://www.bikesdirect365.com/products/Indigo-Flip-24,-Folding-Bike,-Unisex.html#.WECXSvmLSUl

Thanks Oneputt they look good , am very tempted I have been advised the 24 inc is a better folding bike , however would really like a sit on and ride , but I don't think they are available in store , my other half is 5foot tall and iam 6 foot tall I guess these bikes would be suitable for us both ?

wye replied on 02/12/2016 17:26

Posted on 02/12/2016 17:26

Wye, have a look 

http://www.bikesdirect365.com/products/Indigo-Flip-24,-Folding-Bike,-Unisex.html#.WECXSvmLSUl

Thanks Oneputt they look good , am very tempted I have been advised the 24 inc is a better folding bike , however would really like a sit on and ride , but I don't think they are available in store , my other half is 5foot tall and iam 6 foot tall I guess these bikes would be suitable for us both ?

I can answer this myself now thanks , spoke to the supplier above they reckon the 24 flip handle bar height is not adjustable , so it will be  to high for the other half .

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook