What have you seen

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:48

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:48

I can't see the original sticky so will start a new thread.  Saw nearly 30,000 knot on Breydon Water yesterday.  Great weekend at Minsmere, Otter, Kingfishers, Bitterns, lots of Marsh Harriers

nelliethehooker replied on 04/01/2023 21:47

Posted on 04/01/2023 21:47

Spotted a huge flock of Canada Geese feeding by a flooded field near the site yesterday, perhaps 200+ and today a large flock of Fieldfares and Redwings.

Came across this recording, which should appeal to all those interested in birds. The Dawn Chorus by John Spillage

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=obkPZGgIVFU

Wherenext replied on 05/01/2023 15:58

Posted on 05/01/2023 15:58

Spring still on the horizon but our local Greater Spotted Woodpecker has started drumming. Only heard the one, we usually have a competing male

brue replied on 06/01/2023 09:22

Posted on 06/01/2023 09:22

A few more winter flowers in our garden which attract insects although beware the winter Heliotrope it's a plant thug...wink (though has a lovely scent) 

nelliethehooker replied on 14/01/2023 21:20

Posted on 14/01/2023 21:20

Out this morning with Flyte and a fully grown female Roe deer crossed the path in front of us. She walked up a bank and then started to grass, and as we walked past she just looked up and watched us pass no more than 30 m away. She was still there when we returned 10 mins later, not at all bother by others walking on the path.

RedKite replied on 20/01/2023 15:43

Posted on 20/01/2023 15:43

Whilst out this morning in the car I saw a male Hen Harrier flying over some fields made my day, a lot of snow about this morning but where the Hen Harrier was there was no snow at all  and only 12 miles from home.

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 21/01/2023 10:08

Posted on 21/01/2023 10:08

What have I seen?, a cheeky Squirrel sat on a bird feeder(tray type) chomping his way thru the mornings offerings the saucy beggar😂. I had 5 feeding stations, but noticed the Goldfinches being made unwelcome by the tits & sparrows now the Squirrel spooking all the birds. So I’ve increased it to 10, the wire uprights x2(peanuts), the wire uprights within wire round cage x2 (fat balls), wire uprights wide mesh x2 (fat balls) free standing 1’ suspended hanging trays x2 mixed feed, long clear plastic tubes with open feeding slots x2 (1 sunflower hearts & 1 mixed feed). It seems to be harmonious thus far. I’m loathe to discourage the Squirrel but if he/she creates continuing issues I’ll enter the ‘make it hard for the Squirrel to feed’ battle on at least 8 of the feeders & isolate them from the others so no jumping over to the other feeders games-we’ll see👍🏻

RedKite replied on 21/01/2023 12:50

Posted on 21/01/2023 12:50

Well it has been a few years but today whilst out saw a small flock of Redwings in a field about 20  altogether, quite a few Buzzards and Kestrels about.

Wherenext replied on 24/01/2023 17:12

Posted on 24/01/2023 17:12

Paid a visit to Burton Mere RSPB reserve.

Didn't see anything unusual, apart from a couple of Cetti Warblers but we were royally entertained whilst eating our sandwiches in the main reception/Hide by a young lady of 2½ who was also there with her Grandad. She had her own set of binoculars and a never ending supply of questions for an unfortunate reserve assistant who engaged her in a chat.

"Which one is the mummy duck?" " Where are the baby ducks?" "Why has that duck got a funny bill? (Shoveller)" "Do you feed the birds every day?" "See how I can use my binoculars" etc, etc, etc. Chatty Kathy.

Assistant relieved whenGrandad came back from making a cuppa and getting little ones orange juice.

Lovely to see one so young being so inquisitive.

brue replied on 24/01/2023 18:23

Posted on 24/01/2023 18:23

Every winter we still see our sole Fieldfare visitor, he's been around this week in the cold, eating the old apples we store for the birds.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook