Owls at displays - Health Warning!

Hedgehurst replied on 27/06/2017 21:06

Posted on 27/06/2017 21:06

Just been reading the latest CmC magazine, and as usual, the suggested attractions listed from the sites include at least one Bird of Prey and Owl centre. This, and publicity for an event at Alnwick Castle last weekend, home of Harry Potter and of course owls, prompts me to ask: please, if you ever visit any event showing owls, where handling their feathers or stroking them is a part, at least walk away, and preferable explain clearly why you're doing so.

Such falconers are irresponsible and guilty of animal cruelty. And, as Black Beauty said so truly, "Ignorance is no excuse".

While some handlers seem to encourage owl stroking, and even claim the birds like it, it's at best dangerous and potentially fatal for the owls, however commercially attractive to the handlers. Handling damages owl feathers, and because they're not like other bird feathers, the grease from human hands wrecks their waterproofing. It also severely stresses the birds - they sit still because they're in a flat panic, like rabbits in headlights, not because they like it.

I have this from some truly top historical falconers I used to work alongside at English Heritage and other events; it's a passionate campaign they've waged all their working life. Their only hold on their owls is having them perched on the glove. Last weekend's publicity for Alnwick included a picture of a Dumbledore character holding a white owl by its feathers. My friends, who also frequently work there, were outraged, protested, and Alnwick to their credit quickly took the picture down; but it's an image the public likes.

So next time you, or your children/grandchildren are offered the chance to stroke an owl, please don't, no matter how appealing it seems, no matter whatever anyone else is doing, or claims. It is cruel, and more people need to know about it. Flying is what owls are about, not being stroked. The only way to experience an owl feather is if the handlers offer round one that's been moulted.

Thanks for passing this round, for the owls' health.

Outdoor Lady replied on 29/06/2017 08:16

Posted on 29/06/2017 08:16

I didn't know this so thank you for the info. We have a Owl sanctuary nearby who regularly take about six Owls into the town with a collection box and encourage people to stroke them saying they like it. I was truly horrified when they were recently took a baby Owl out of one's jacket and encouraged a child to stoke it. Next time I see them I will challenge them on the info you have posted.

Takethedogalong replied on 29/06/2017 08:54

Posted on 29/06/2017 08:54

That's a good reminder Hedgehurst! We have enjoyed watching Raphael Falconry at a good few EH events, and they always tried to make visitors aware of dangers for the owls! smile

Hedgehurst replied on 29/06/2017 10:01

Posted on 29/06/2017 08:54 by Takethedogalong

That's a good reminder Hedgehurst! We have enjoyed watching Raphael Falconry at a good few EH events, and they always tried to make visitors aware of dangers for the owls! smile

Posted on 29/06/2017 10:01

You've spotted my source! Mike & Emma and I went through a patch of appearing at the same events in their early days with EH, and I always loved working with them. They're spectacularly good at what they do, and live with a passion for their birds and their message has, as you've said, always been the same.

Hedgehurst replied on 29/06/2017 10:10

Posted on 29/06/2017 08:16 by Outdoor Lady

I didn't know this so thank you for the info. We have a Owl sanctuary nearby who regularly take about six Owls into the town with a collection box and encourage people to stroke them saying they like it. I was truly horrified when they were recently took a baby Owl out of one's jacket and encouraged a child to stoke it. Next time I see them I will challenge them on the info you have posted.

Posted on 29/06/2017 10:10

That's appalling of them! Thank you for taking up the, er, gauntlet.

It's only fair to comment that the world of falconry is apparently a lot more contentious beneath the surface than we might expect, and you might not get a easy reception, but you're right to challenge them, and it all helps to raise public awareness.

All strength to you!

Takethedogalong replied on 29/06/2017 12:44

Posted on 29/06/2017 10:01 by Hedgehurst

You've spotted my source! Mike & Emma and I went through a patch of appearing at the same events in their early days with EH, and I always loved working with them. They're spectacularly good at what they do, and live with a passion for their birds and their message has, as you've said, always been the same.

Posted on 29/06/2017 12:44

Yes, they are very interesting. My aunt kept owls, she had a Tawny and a Barn. They were allowed to perch on our arms, but we were not allowed to stroke them. Both were rescued, had a huge aviary, and flew regularly. She was a wildlife artist, did a good bit trying to educate youngsters about owls!

brue replied on 29/06/2017 13:23

Posted on 29/06/2017 13:23

We have had temporary rescue birds and our own domestic chickens at home in the past. It's not a good idea to touch any birds due to diseases they can pass on to humans. There was a photo on the BBC recently of someone with a rescued crow, touching it's beak with their mouth! frown Either way, birds need to be handled with care, both from the human and bird point of view. Always wash your hands.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook