Magpie menace

Timpsonboy replied on 13/07/2022 16:17

Posted on 13/07/2022 16:17

I'm staying at incleboro caravan and motorhome club site and we arrived on Saturday.On Sunday we went for our shopping and returned to find a magpie sat on what was left of a panel on our air wind break. The pesky bird had pecked through the material and destroyed the inner lining destroying it completely.unfortionatley it is damaged beyond repair ,thank God it was only one panel and not the other two. I reported it to the wardens who said they have never heard of this happening apart from air awnings bursting in the hot weather which is also happening this week.We took the other panels down as we don't want to risk it .has anyone else had this misfortune?

JVB66 replied on 13/07/2022 17:18

Posted on 13/07/2022 17:18

Or was it a coincidence that the Magpie was present?and awning had burst in the hot weather 

Quite often they some make burst in hot weather if they do not a pressure relief.valve?

Timpsonboy replied on 13/07/2022 17:31

Posted on 13/07/2022 17:31

No it was definitely the magpie as there were tatters of material all over the place where it had ripped it to bits.i suppose it could have burst ,then the magpie attacked it.i will ask it's lawyer when I take it to court lol 😂👍

brue replied on 13/07/2022 19:18

Posted on 13/07/2022 19:18

It may well have burst and then the Magpie was attracted to the fluttering fabric, they are very bright birds with an eye for everything. smile

We had a young Magpie in our kitchen last week it had spotted some fresh raspberries in a colander in our kitchen. A true opportunist.

Wherenext replied on 13/07/2022 19:28

Posted on 13/07/2022 19:28

It's probably as JVB describes as the air bursting would have frightened the bird off if it had done the bursting. They're probably into building nests for a second brood around this time of year so the material would have been a great present for Mrs. Magpie.

Timpsonboy replied on 14/07/2022 06:20

Posted on 14/07/2022 06:20

To be honest it does sound more plausible.you would have thought the manufacturer would have spent some research on the air concept though as these things are available in far hotter countries than the UK. They must be exploding all over Australia.lol

brue replied on 14/07/2022 08:33

Posted on 14/07/2022 08:33

Having seen one explode making quite a noise I would imagine there are more happening in this present weather. Don't know about Australia, it's winter there just now...wink

replied on 14/07/2022 14:46

Posted on 14/07/2022 14:46

I would have thought the pressure on bursting would have blown the poor birds head off if it had managed to puncture the tough material 🙈😬😂

Timpsonboy replied on 15/07/2022 12:17

Posted on 15/07/2022 12:17

Haha yes  although I wouldn't have known what to make of a headless magpie and a tattered windbreak it would have suggested a sign from a rival family wanting to scare me lol. a update there have been several awnings burst here this   week I have let air out of mine hoping it will help 

As for Australia I meant in general not just now and even their winters can be hot compered to our hot  summer 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook