Bowland Beth

brue replied on 09/08/2017 11:54

Posted on 09/08/2017 11:54

I was listening to David Cobham talking about his Hen Harrier book, Bowland Beth. I was very sad to hear there are only six pairs left now. What a terrible loss. His story is remarkable but the demise of such a beautiful bird in the UK is dark and shameful.

Wherenext replied on 16/09/2017 15:29

Posted on 16/09/2017 15:29

Couldn't agree more with you Brue. We were privileged one year to see a male Hen Harrier chasing an unfortunate Meadow Pipit on Orkney. The dexterity of the Harrier was incredible to witness as he went about his business of catching the poor Pipit. 

We seem to be quite lucky in so far as we are able to see Hen Harriers in winter as they winter on the River Dee in Cheshire/Flintshire.

brue replied on 16/09/2017 17:14

Posted on 16/09/2017 17:14

Just looking in OP, when I wrote the thread I was relaying info from the programme. My laptop has gone kaput and I have limited access to check the details at the moment. Hope you are right and I am wrong! smile

brue replied on 17/09/2017 09:10

Posted on 17/09/2017 09:10

I think you're right or for county I thought he said country? But I see hen harriers are on red status and numbers are falling.

Oneputt replied on 17/09/2017 10:42

Posted on 17/09/2017 10:42

Its such a pity that they are persecuted by landowners and its about time the landowners were taken to court and not just the gamekeeper. The penalties need to be enforced to the maximum.  

I just love watching these beautiful birds if flight

Bakers2 replied on 17/09/2017 11:02

Posted on 17/09/2017 10:42 by Oneputt

Its such a pity that they are persecuted by landowners and its about time the landowners were taken to court and not just the gamekeeper. The penalties need to be enforced to the maximum.  

I just love watching these beautiful birds if flight

Posted on 17/09/2017 11:02

This would make so much sense. Gamekeepers are generally maintaining the land to the landowners requirements. But it's an easy cop out at present. Similar situation to companies but we now have the corporate manslaughter charges. 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook