Blackbirds

wye replied on 28/12/2016 08:40

Posted on 28/12/2016 08:40

I have been waiting for the Blackbird Apple eating frenzy .

Well its began, each year , when its cold enough around 30 to 40 blackbirds feed in the small orchard outside my kitchen window and yesterday they arrived , one at a time all day long .

This morning Apples still on one tree and Apples on the ground are being consumed like crazy , the squirrels join in too , hopefully we will see a fox appear too , as last year Mr Fox was carrying away them too .

Is anybody else lucky enough to see this in there garden ?

brue replied on 28/12/2016 10:01

Posted on 28/12/2016 10:01

Yes we have them here too. Although the temperature has to drop quite a bit to bring them all in. It's a bit frosty this morning so we have a few opportunists plus our regular plump Fieldfare, his pals will join in if it gets colder. We have a Green Woodpecker who also likes the apples still on the trees. smile

Bakers2 replied on 28/12/2016 10:12

Posted on 28/12/2016 10:12

We have a couple of blackbirds that have returned. Must be cold as we have two Robins too. Some tits but long-tailed ones haven't been around for ages. Plenty of starlings and sparrows 😃. Dear little Dunnet we've had for years along with the wrens. Squirrel is still about but dog may change that. We live in the town but fairly large wildlife friendly garden and have plenty of ring neck doves and pigeon but the single rook/crow that's been about for last two or three years is now three or four. Don't know where they feed as they done land in our garden 😐.

Wherenext replied on 28/12/2016 15:58

Posted on 28/12/2016 15:58

It's still amazing that in spite of the need to eat, the blackbirds will continue to set out their territory and there have been numerous quarrels going on today, despite the amount of food I've put out for them. They must waste a huge amount of energy just clearing other blackbirds out. The females are just as bad as the males. Better than tele though!smile

Impy replied on 28/12/2016 20:26

Posted on 28/12/2016 20:26

No mini orchard for us but we do put all our apple and pear cores in the garden for the blackbird and starlings who seem to love them, the pear cores seem to be the favourite but maybe that is because they are softer, often we watch the blackbird taking the apple cores from the lawn into the flower borders and under the shrubs for consumption, not sure if it is that they feel safer there or whether it is a case of you are not having my apple laughing

Merve replied on 09/02/2017 17:45

Posted on 09/02/2017 17:45

The Blackbird- one of the most beautiful sounds ever - sitting on the highest branch of next doors conifer on a warm and balmy summers evening and singing his heart out for all to take notice of - and its free.  I wonder how many of us put what we are doing aside just to listen to the splendour above our heads? Love 'em. 

Kennine replied on 13/02/2017 14:52

Posted on 13/02/2017 14:52

Like Merve, I absolutely love the Blackbird. Their song is exquisite. We have a pair permanently in our back garden. The female has unusual markings with a white patch on the R/H side of her neck.  

We are so lucky to have so many different garden birds in our garden.  Our dog protects them by seeing off any cats which come into the garden to kill the birds.

Cheers......................K

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook