Absolutely Outraged

Oneputt replied on 08/04/2019 20:10

Posted on 08/04/2019 20:10

I am livid to hear that a local Norfolk council has netted a cliff thereby stopping Sand Martins from accessing their traditional nesting sites.  There is a government petition to protect our visiting birds to bring the next generation forth.  These tiny birds fly some 2000 miles to get here then we block them, disgraceful.  I have signed the petition.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-47859604

replied on 08/04/2019 20:16

Posted on 08/04/2019 20:16

The RSPB said: 

An RSPB spokesman said: "We are disappointed that the council have placed netting on the cliffs at Bacton to prevent sand martins from nesting.

"In an effort to minimise the disturbance to nesting sand martins during the sandscaping project, we supported the contractor's recommendation for the council to use a fine mesh (which birds cannot get trapped in) on a small section of the cliff.

"Based on the images we have seen published, our advice has not been followed and we will be reaching out to the council to offer further advice and support."

The images in the report show a fine mesh? 

Oneputt replied on 10/04/2019 17:08

Posted on 10/04/2019 17:08

North Norfolk Council have climbed down and are removing some of the netting from the Sand Martin nesting area

Netting of hedges and trees is a ploy usually used by developers to stop birds nesting as it is illegal to interfere with nesting birds so it would delay their building projects.  Personally I think it is and outrageous practice and one I would take direct action against

Takethedogalong replied on 10/04/2019 17:16

Posted on 10/04/2019 17:16

Fully agree with you OP, it’s disgraceful and cruel. The way something’s happen nowadays, I feel for future generations and wonder what kind of a world they will be living in. I will be signing petition. 

This is what worries me about our country. Our elected representatives cannot be trusted to do the right things anymore, far too many of them have conflicts of interest and are looking to their assets rather than what’s right for the whole country and it’s way of life, and that includes wildlife as well as humans. Very sad☹️

Oneputt replied on 10/04/2019 18:06

Posted on 10/04/2019 18:06

The thing is these little birds run the gauntlet of Southern European country hunters destroying migrating birds willy nilly to the tune of something like 14 million birds a year and then we who condem that behaviour act like savages ourselves

mickysf replied on 10/04/2019 18:39

Posted on 10/04/2019 18:39

It's not good, not good at all! I know there have been efforts to create alternative breeding habitats when riverbank work has been in need in certain areas. This demands much forward planning I would think and a positive mindset. Even then, I don't know how successful these efforts have been.

Wherenext replied on 10/04/2019 19:52

Posted on 10/04/2019 19:52

Read about this today so will sign petition. The birds are already losing nesting areas as cliff faces disintegrate. 

ABM replied on 11/04/2019 16:40

Posted on 11/04/2019 16:40

Builders  'netted'  a  hedgerow  in  Shropshire  to  restrict  birds  nesting,  in  order  that  they  could  build  200  new  houses.laughing

Obviously  the  Shropshire  birds  are  or  will  grow  into  Violent  Home-wreckers.surprised

Not  that  it  really  matters  'cos  some  "Anti-Enterprise"  people  in  that  area  got  stuck  in  &  tore  the  nets  down.yell

Council  non  too  chuffed  tongue-out,  but  Brian's  happily  smiling  smilewink

greylag replied on 11/04/2019 17:22

Posted on 11/04/2019 17:22

OP.....you'll burst something.....

These cretins have no idea what to do for the best........

Nets should be outlawed where nature is concerned....leave the birds in peace......

I could go on and then I will probably burst.  From Tesco to house builders, they should all be ashamed of the way they treat nature....Profit rules!

replied on 11/04/2019 17:34

Posted on 11/04/2019 17:34

In some cases ABN it makes good sense to net off if work is planned. As somebody who has had to consider nesting birds. if I had a project that meant a hedge removal or significant effects on the hedge' which has happened, if I had access I would prefer to remove the hedge or carry out the work on the hedging before nesting time rather than net off even if that meant some temporary fencing work.

ABM replied on 11/04/2019 22:39

Posted on 11/04/2019 22:39

The  whole  point  tho'  Easy,  is  that  it  is,  by  &  large,  nesting  time !

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook