Yorkshire to host 2019 Cycling World Championships

Runrig replied on 12/10/2016 19:04

Posted on 12/10/2016 19:04

Yorkshire has won the bid to host the 2019 UCI World Road Race Championships.

8 days, each day a seperate discipline, team & individual time trials, mens, womens and juniors, culminating in mens road race.

Great for UK and Yorkshire

Can't wait. Laughing

Pliers replied on 12/10/2016 19:09

Posted on 12/10/2016 19:09

Absolutely wonderful news!

Should be fantastic, hope to be there to see some of it.

And the 2017 Tour de France route will be released very soon, time to get planning some holidays in the 'van!

IanH replied on 12/10/2016 20:25

Posted on 12/10/2016 20:25

I always find the world championships a strange sort of event.

A one day race, that has no connection to anything that has happened during the year. The road race is usually a criterium, with little climbing, so again unlike a typical road race. It doesn't necessarily attract the riders who would be considered the 'best' all rounders (possibly because it's held late in the year and frankly, isn't terribly prestigious) and is often won by sprinters.

I think if they want to have something that truly measures a 'world champion' then something like the old Super Prestige Pernod International would be better. It was based on points awarded in each of the top races throughout the year.

I suspect that one reason why they don't do it this way is that riders tend to 'target' particular races these days, rather than entering as many as they possibly can. A situation created by riders being paid huge salaries these days, rather than having to rely on prize money and appearance money.

Runrig replied on 12/10/2016 20:46

Posted on 12/10/2016 20:46

Some years it works, other years, like this year it doesn't.

I would hope Leeds and Yorkshire will provide the potential backdrop and course to render it well supported by riders and teams (both pro and national)

It will certainly be well supported at the road side.

IanH replied on 13/10/2016 17:16

Posted on 13/10/2016 17:16

It said on the local news that the finish would probably be in Harrogate.

IanH replied on 16/10/2016 15:52

Posted on 16/10/2016 15:52

Just watched the end of this years Cycling World Championships road race.

What a boring race! Round and round a pan flat course in the city centre of Doha, with not a fan in sight. The only people who were ever going to have a chance of winning were sprinters.

How can that possibly be called the 'world championships'?

Still, it was nice to see Peter Sagan win for the second time in a row.......helped by the entire Slovak nation's cyclists - his brother and another guy Wink

Cav came in second with Tom Boonen in third.

Runrig replied on 17/10/2016 10:07

Posted on 17/10/2016 10:07

Wasn't that bad, yes the route was designed for the sprinters, but the mid race dynamic with the crosswind isolating the Germans added a bit of spice. You certainly could not accuse them of not taking it seriously.

So Bergen in 2017, Innsbruck 2018, Yorkshire 2019

I have an email saying routes will be announced in coming months, with Leeds, Harrogate or York to feature. 8 days of road closures will be challenging for Leeds. UK Government to underwrite 100% of cost, with further £24m on top.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook