Sport personality

Rubytuesday replied on 18/12/2016 23:38

Posted on 18/12/2016 23:38

Andy Murray well done and well deserved smile he was my winner and I placed Nick Skelton 2nd he also done Britain proud 

so results was 

Andy 1st 

Brownlee  2nd (should have gone to the two brothers jointly )

Nick Skelton 3rd well done all 

Whittakerr replied on 19/12/2016 06:58

Posted on 19/12/2016 06:58

I have to say I find it difficult to believe Andy Murray could win the award for sports personality of the year.

There’s no doubt he is a very good tennis player, he has been a bit fortunate in becoming the world’s number one with others having a dip in form and injury and of course Federer coming to the end of his career, none the less well done to him for that. But sports personality!! He’s got about as much personality as a dirty dustbin on a wet Wednesday in Scunthorpe. (Apologies to Scunthorpe).

The whole event this year seemed a little low key. There wasn’t the usual promotion of the event in the preceding weeks and I didn’t know who was nominated until the programme was on air.

bill replied on 19/12/2016 07:55

Posted on 19/12/2016 06:58 by Whittakerr

I have to say I find it difficult to believe Andy Murray could win the award for sports personality of the year.

There’s no doubt he is a very good tennis player, he has been a bit fortunate in becoming the world’s number one with others having a dip in form and injury and of course Federer coming to the end of his career, none the less well done to him for that. But sports personality!! He’s got about as much personality as a dirty dustbin on a wet Wednesday in Scunthorpe. (Apologies to Scunthorpe).

The whole event this year seemed a little low key. There wasn’t the usual promotion of the event in the preceding weeks and I didn’t know who was nominated until the programme was on air.

Posted on 19/12/2016 07:55

It's interesting that you say that as we got fed up with all the advertising and promotion of the event on TV along with the Strictly final and the final of the Apprentice !

GodivaNige replied on 19/12/2016 09:25

Posted on 19/12/2016 06:58 by Whittakerr

Posted on 19/12/2016 09:25

How would you like him to be? A cross between Peter Kay and Holly Willoughby perhaps? He's a sportsman, a fiercely determined one who strives to be the best at what he does. When he's behind on the scoreboard, he fights to regain the lead, when his form takes a dip, he battles to regain it. This is what a sports personality is, a leader in his field who strives to be the best he can be. A compatriot and an example of what hard work and dedication can bring, not some fluffy media loving matriarch who would rather be liked than be a winner. 

I didn't vote for Murray but I fully get why he won SPOTY again. A first class sportsman who's 'sports personality' is exactly in the right place. A sport personality being somewhat different to a celebrity personality.

papgeno replied on 19/12/2016 10:05

Posted on 19/12/2016 10:05

I'm not surprised Andy Murray won because tennis is just about the only live sport the BBC show these days. 

Whittakerr replied on 19/12/2016 12:22

Posted on 19/12/2016 09:25 by GodivaNige

How would you like him to be? A cross between Peter Kay and Holly Willoughby perhaps? He's a sportsman, a fiercely determined one who strives to be the best at what he does. When he's behind on the scoreboard, he fights to regain the lead, when his form takes a dip, he battles to regain it. This is what a sports personality is, a leader in his field who strives to be the best he can be. A compatriot and an example of what hard work and dedication can bring, not some fluffy media loving matriarch who would rather be liked than be a winner. 

I didn't vote for Murray but I fully get why he won SPOTY again. A first class sportsman who's 'sports personality' is exactly in the right place. A sport personality being somewhat different to a celebrity personality.

Posted on 19/12/2016 12:22

I accept everything you say about him as a sportsman, but as a personality, with his dishevelled appearance and dull, monotone droning voice he wouldn’t be my first choice as a dinner guest.

GodivaNige replied on 19/12/2016 13:01

Posted on 19/12/2016 13:01

I'd sooner share a bite to eat and a beer with Murray over a few of the Leicester FC team that were on the stage last night, most of whom looked like they would much rather be somewhere else. yell The GB Women's Hockey team would have been infinitely more grateful to have received the team award

Whittakerr replied on 19/12/2016 15:54

Posted on 19/12/2016 13:01 by GodivaNige

I'd sooner share a bite to eat and a beer with Murray over a few of the Leicester FC team that were on the stage last night, most of whom looked like they would much rather be somewhere else. yell The GB Women's Hockey team would have been infinitely more grateful to have received the team award

Posted on 19/12/2016 15:54

I completely agree. If Jamie Vardy had won it would have been a complete travesty. I don’t know how he could even be nominated.

ABM replied on 19/12/2016 17:14

Posted on 19/12/2016 17:14

Be  fair  Whittakerr,  they  are  not  nominated   by  Viewers  or 

Sports  fans as  they  used  to  be  !  They  are  on  a  list  put

forward  by  the  Blessed  BBC !

And  I'd  add  that  the  Ladies  / Women  would  have  been  more  Graceful

as  well  as  Grateful  but  that's  just  an  old  mans  view embarassed

Brian  A B M

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook