Six Nations 2019

Extugger replied on 30/01/2019 16:47

Posted on 30/01/2019 16:47

For me, the most exciting tournament in the sporting calendar as the 6 Nations lock horns and renew old rivalries and friendships over the coming weeks, with the added bonus of a World Cup to look forward to later in the year. Undoubtedly, the Irish are strong favourites again this year. Scotland start with 2 home fixtures, Wales are unbeaten in their last 9 fixtures and England are promising plenty of power. The French are at sixes and sevens whilst the brilliant Sergio Parisse can expect another season without a win.

A competition like no other.....let the games begin!

mickysf replied on 16/03/2019 19:57

Posted on 16/03/2019 19:57

Well, I don't know what to say!🤔 I did enjoy it as a game mind!

Well done Scotland you deserved that draw on English soil and retention of the Calcutta Cup.

What now for England, so close but so far away from that perfection needed in Japan?

ABM replied on 16/03/2019 20:21

Posted on 16/03/2019 20:21

As  you  so  rightly  say,  Mickysf,  it  was  a  truly  amazing  game.  All  credit  to  a  totally  outplayed  Scotland  for  coming  out  after  the  break  with  load  of  pride,  determination  & clear  heads.  The  Replacements  on  both  sides  made  all  the  difference  so  well  done  to  them.

Only  one  thing  really  spoiled  the  game  for  me { A  born,  bred  and  proud  ENGLISHMAN }  and  that  was  seeing  yet  another  shoulder  charge  from  Farrell.  He  made  no  attempt  to  block  or  catch  the  ball  from  the  kicker,  nor  did  he  raise  his  arms  to  soften  the  impact  for  both  of  them,  he  just  dropped  his  shoulder  &  kept  running.

A  very  personal  view  ==  RED  CARD  with  no  excuses.

mickysf replied on 16/03/2019 20:44

Posted on 16/03/2019 20:21 by ABM

As  you  so  rightly  say,  Mickysf,  it  was  a  truly  amazing  game.  All  credit  to  a  totally  outplayed  Scotland  for  coming  out  after  the  break  with  load  of  pride,  determination  & clear  heads.  The  Replacements  on  both  sides  made  all  the  difference  so  well  done  to  them.

Only  one  thing  really  spoiled  the  game  for  me { A  born,  bred  and  proud  ENGLISHMAN }  and  that  was  seeing  yet  another  shoulder  charge  from  Farrell.  He  made  no  attempt  to  block  or  catch  the  ball  from  the  kicker,  nor  did  he  raise  his  arms  to  soften  the  impact  for  both  of  them,  he  just  dropped  his  shoulder  &  kept  running.

A  very  personal  view  ==  RED  CARD  with  no  excuses.

Posted on 16/03/2019 20:44

Rugby has today become a collision sport rather than a contact sport in my opinion. It's now down to micro second timing and playing to the very edge and hitting very hard at that. In real time it looked different to the slow motion and I believe a red card would have been a tad harsh decision for Farrell. When playing that close I guess self preservation kicks in and I don't believe he intended to inflict injury. Possibly a yellow but in that heat of the moment it's debatable and so difficult for the pitch ref or even the video ref to make what could be a match/spectacular spoiling decision. Maybe Union ought to introduce the 'On Report' way of dealing with the likes as in Rugby League. Or possibly a carried forward warning into future games. Just a thought!

mickysf replied on 16/03/2019 21:16

Posted on 16/03/2019 21:11 by ABM

I'll  let  you  off  this  time  Micksf,  {  But  not  Farrell  grrrrr }

Posted on 16/03/2019 21:16

👍wink

What do you think about the 'on report' idea to address these issues and possibly correct his 'behaviour'?

ABM replied on 16/03/2019 21:38

Posted on 16/03/2019 21:38

I  don't  really  follow  'League',  M,  so  I'm  not  totally  sure  how  it  works  but  would  it  not  mean  the  player  got  away  with  it  in  the  context  of  the  6 Nations  but  might  miss  some  later  internationals  ??undecided

mickysf replied on 16/03/2019 21:47

Posted on 16/03/2019 21:47

It would mean that the incident would be scrutinised thoroughly and at 'leisure' by a panel of match officials and law makers within a a couple of days. A decision is then reached which could carry consequences of missing next game or a series of games, even financial penalties can be issued. It's only used in the instances where an on pitch snap decision is highly likely to be difficult and problematic.

nelliethehooker replied on 16/03/2019 22:12

Posted on 16/03/2019 22:12

They do have a "sighting" system where an illegal action missed by the ref is reviewed by a panel and disciplinary action is often take against perpetrator. 

Have just watched the English Ladies thrash their Scottish counterparts 80-0 and win their version of the 6 Nations. I must say how impressed I was with the all round quality of rugby that they played.

mickysf replied on 16/03/2019 22:22

Posted on 16/03/2019 22:12 by nelliethehooker

They do have a "sighting" system where an illegal action missed by the ref is reviewed by a panel and disciplinary action is often take against perpetrator. 

Have just watched the English Ladies thrash their Scottish counterparts 80-0 and win their version of the 6 Nations. I must say how impressed I was with the all round quality of rugby that they played.

Posted on 16/03/2019 22:22

They are slightly different, 'sightings' in Union happen after a match and are not made in real time by the ref. Often it's the coaches who ask for a sighting during the match debrief with the officials.

The ref in League places the player on report when he has an element of doubt in the heat of game about an infringement. If he is sure he will sin bin or 'red card' a player accordingly though.. 

GVD replied on 17/03/2019 08:20

Posted on 17/03/2019 08:20

I think there is something lacking in the psyche of England. When the pressure is on them they cannot react to it. This has been proven over a number of years. Yes they have world class players, but when on the "back foot" capitulate. Wales have learnt to live with it, and "have forgotten how to loose". This in no doubt is down to the coaching staff, and perhaps England need to look at this? Again Da Iawn Cymru.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook