Lessons to be learnt

Wherenext replied on 10/01/2023 20:11

Posted on 10/01/2023 20:11

The SGSA is now working with the club, Sheffield City Council and the Safety Advisory Group to review the event, learn any lessons and ensure a safe environment for football fans."

This is a statement put out by the Sports Ground Safety Authority (SGSA) following reports of overcrowding  and crushing in the Lepping Lane end of Hillsborough, the home of Sheffield Wednesday  at their FA Cup tie with Newcastle.

This statement is an absolute disgrace and the spokesperson should  never be allowed to make another public statement. 

No lesson should "need to be learned", especially  not at this ground. Does the spokesperson not know that 97 fans lost their life there? How does this person work for an organisation such as SGSA without knowing this?

As an aside I hate this bland statement that is routinely rolled out. Its just box ticking most of the time.

ABM replied on 11/01/2023 12:47

Posted on 11/01/2023 12:47

100% agreement here, WN !!  I'm still in favour of ALL SEATED STADIA for soccer matches with the obvious " No Seat / Ticket = NO ENTRY " and any club not enforcing the rule faces the obvious exclusion from whichever tournament, league or cup, for a period of years

WITH NO EXCEPTIONS !!

I never understood the various Authorities permitting the fans to stand in areas where they should be seated ~~ if they choose to flout the Ruling then that stand or ground should have been closed forthwith --  no excuses are acceptable, peoples lives are concerned !!

Takethedogalong replied on 12/01/2023 16:15

Posted on 12/01/2023 16:15

It does indeed beggar belief that Hillsborough is once again the focus of an investigation, however, no surprise to us. We went to watch Boro play Wednesday a few years ago, and being Boro fans, we were in the away end. As we went in I said to my OH it doesn’t feel safe this place, and we didn’t enjoy being there one little bit. I recall a lot of damaged seats, which were a hazard in themselves. A tight squeeze getting out of the ground at full time. No idea what the home supporters end is like, but they certainly don’t spend money on the away end. I vowed never to go to Hillsborough again☹️

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook