How's your footy team doing?

papgeno replied on 14/12/2016 11:00

Posted on 14/12/2016 11:00

I'm starting this thread again because it seems to have been a casualty of the change over to the new site. The Terriers scecured another away win last night at Burton. Two wins in a row now after a barren spell. It'll all go pear shaped on Friday when we go to Norwich because the game is to be televised , we haven't won on the telly for ages.

Takethedogalong replied on 08/05/2021 16:29

Posted on 08/05/2021 16:29

Disaster day in South Yorkshire. Sheffield United were already relegated from PL into Championship, and after this afternoon’s games, both Sheffield Wednesday and Rotherham United drop into League One.😢

On the plus side though my Dad’s favourite team, Leeds United have survived their first PL season👍 

papgeno replied on 13/05/2021 09:27

Posted on 05/05/2021 21:41 by ABM

Er, er, Roger, It's not my normal practice to criticise fellow footy fans but shouldn't that read :-- Unless we get a number of new good players  undecided

Posted on 13/05/2021 09:27

Sorry Brian I’ve only just read this. You are, of course, grammatically correct but it’s not Town’s style to sign new good players. 
The current policy seems to be to sign unproven youngsters “ for the future” or oldish out of contract players a bit past their prime. We live in hope to be proved wrong but Town supporters have become battle hardened realists these past three seasons 

Anyhoo the retained list was published this week and at least they’ve got rid of a few highly paid wasters which should free up some brass to maybe pay for a couple of new good players. We live in hope but as an old fella who sits near us is wont to say “ it’s the hope that kills you”

UTT Rob

papgeno replied on 13/05/2021 09:35

Posted on 08/05/2021 16:29 by Takethedogalong

Disaster day in South Yorkshire. Sheffield United were already relegated from PL into Championship, and after this afternoon’s games, both Sheffield Wednesday and Rotherham United drop into League One.😢

On the plus side though my Dad’s favourite team, Leeds United have survived their first PL season👍 

Posted on 13/05/2021 09:35

On the plus side TD Brian’s Alex can look forward to a visit to the Cauldron that is the home of the massive Wendies next season.

Also Wayne Rooney’s   Derby County are still in the doodoo with the EFL and could be joining the South Yorkshire contingent, although its more likely they’ll be starting next season with a points deduction 

ABM replied on 13/05/2021 17:10

Posted on 13/05/2021 17:10

First one , to be honest, was more of a sideways sarky dig , Roger mate.  That's a bit of a bad habit of mine ~~ set 'em up and then, couple of days later, pop back in and " S P L A T " knock 'em base over elbow ".  Oh I do like a simple, static target -- pretty much like a '50s-60's third division  Sunday League attacking** right footed left back that you know  embarassed.

Still I'm a-going to enjoy the footy on telebox next season 'cos I've spent a couple of hours in Currys/Dixons/ P.C. World boring stiff a pleasant enough young assistant who had never before had the pleasure of hearing my wallet screaming so ! Never mind there will be a little more drain on the Smart Meter in a fortnight, due to the said ( larger ) telebox surprised being run-in on crikit, afleticks and similar.

Stay warm, stay safe and Stay ON-SIDE !!

** Not truly attacking but too often caught out of position embarassedfrown

Pliers replied on 15/05/2021 22:26

Posted on 15/05/2021 22:26

Congratulations to Leicester City on winning the FA Cup !  
We must have some Leicester fans with us on CT, I hope so 🙂🙂🙂
And  great for see fans back at wonderful Wembley.

We’ve tickets for next Sunday’s Man City v Everton game. Will be strange to be back in a crowd with so many people, after being ultra cautious for the last 16 months or so.

But really need to get ourselves  back to some sort of normality now we’re both fully vaccinated.

⚽️⚽️⚽️

ABM replied on 15/05/2021 23:37

Posted on 15/05/2021 23:37

I would, normally, join you in your good wishes Pliers but, on a purely personal level, I thought the entire game  { which I did manfully struggle through } was a load of rubbish. The number of attempts to control the ball where it bounced off shins, ankles etc was appalling and not helped by the multiplicity of tackles/challenges/blatant fouls from behind.

At least I'm happy with V A R in this instance, since it avoided yours truly having to suffer an extra 30 minutes of ******* !

Rant Over  ~~  Wonder if it will be as bad when they meet again next week.

Yours,  Grumpy yell

Takethedogalong replied on 16/05/2021 11:04

Posted on 15/05/2021 22:26 by Pliers

Congratulations to Leicester City on winning the FA Cup !  
We must have some Leicester fans with us on CT, I hope so 🙂🙂🙂
And  great for see fans back at wonderful Wembley.

We’ve tickets for next Sunday’s Man City v Everton game. Will be strange to be back in a crowd with so many people, after being ultra cautious for the last 16 months or so.

But really need to get ourselves  back to some sort of normality now we’re both fully vaccinated.

⚽️⚽️⚽️

Posted on 16/05/2021 11:04

Yes, brilliant for Leicester City and their fans. At a time when some of the country’s biggest clubs were found wanting and venal after the super league debacle, its great to see a Club like Leicester and its owners, players and fans lifting the FACup. Great for players like Jamie Vardy and Schmiechel as well, who haven’t simply followed the big money. Schmiechel pulled off two wonderful saves, ok it wasn’t a rip roaring end to end game, but the end result was great.

Enjoy the game Pliers. It will be very strange, but so exciting👍😁

Pliers replied on 24/05/2021 11:04

Posted on 24/05/2021 11:04

Another football season nearly over, and yesterday we actually went to a match, Man City v Everton. Seemed a bit strange at first, but everything was well organised and social distancing in the ground strongly encouraged.

Great to see Rúben Dias play, a very promising 24 year old, looking very good in his first season in English football.

And a brilliant live set from Blossoms before and after the match. (Stockport lads).

Did any other CT people manage to get to see any live sport in the last year? And what are your hopes / plans for the next 12 months?

⚽️⚽️⚽️

Takethedogalong replied on 24/05/2021 12:07

Posted on 24/05/2021 12:07

Congrats to Man City Pliers, and good luck to them next weekend🤞

We will be off to our first live sporting event in September, Tour of Britain starting in Cornwall. Expecting it to be huge crowds, it usually is at starts and finishes, and also lots of folks out on the routes as well. We have lost two Tour De Yorkshire’s and last years TofB, so hoping all goes well in September. There’s seldom any bother of any kind at bike races, most folks just find their viewing spot for the day, get the flask and sandwiches out, then watch for helicopters and outriders, or watch on big screen. We are hoping to stick MH on a spot if we can.

papgeno replied on 24/05/2021 12:41

Posted on 24/05/2021 12:41

Yes well done City.

We’ve got tickets for the England v Pakistan T20I at Headingley in July so here’s hoping we’ll be ok to go by then.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook