F A Cup 2016

ABM replied on 08/01/2016 22:18

Posted on 08/01/2016 22:18

Just  watched  the  Friday  Night  is  FA Cup  Night  on  BBC 1  ==  Exeter  v  Liverpool  ended  up  as  a  2 -- 2  draw  with  'Pool  twice  having  to  come  from  behind.  Really  not  sure  which  was  the  mid table Premier League  team  'cos  Exeter  were  certainly  not  outplayed  by  the  supposed  Big  Boys  !!

Bakers2 replied on 09/01/2016 08:48

Posted on 09/01/2016 08:48

Didn'twatch it but I always love the underdog.  I heard the Liverpool's manager say he reckoned home team had the advantage as they know the pitch and where they can play football on it and where they just kick the ball.  Not an expert but a mad keen son who played at a highish level so picked up a bit over the years Wink.  Sounded to me like a bad workman blaming his tools.  The big boys get paid mega bucks to play on a perfect surface!!!!  Like you the bits I did see it was a job to choose between them, I actually checked with OH which colour Liverpool were playing in - I knew they didn't play in stripes but it was a close call Surprised

moulesy replied on 09/01/2016 10:03

Posted on 09/01/2016 10:03

Good to see the underdogs do well, but, for me, the romance of FA Cup 3rd round day has been lost now that the matches are spread over 5 days! Oh and of course we have to call it "The Emirates" FA Cup now. (Progress I suppose! Sad. Use left and right arrows to navigate.)

Interesting point about colours Bakers; I was under the impression that in the Cup it was the home side who changed colours if there was a clash, when did that tradition change?

brue replied on 09/01/2016 10:28

Posted on 09/01/2016 10:28

Really enjoyed the match, I suppose Liverpool will pull out all the "big" players for the next match and hammer Exeter?Frown (Not a football fan, but like to see our local teams.)

ABM replied on 09/01/2016 12:46

Posted on 09/01/2016 12:46

The  'Pool  have  had  a  terrible  run  of  injuries,  Brue,  and  I'm  not  sure  how  many  of  the  changes,  if  any,  were  forced  on  the  Klop-man,  but  it  won't  really  matter !  In  ten  years  time  we  will  look  at  the  results  and see  2 -- 2  and  that  alone  Laughing

Graydjames replied on 09/01/2016 20:27

Posted on 09/01/2016 20:27

Good to see the underdogs do well, but, for me, the romance of FA Cup 3rd round day has been lost now that the matches are spread over 5 days! Oh and of course we have to call it "The Emirates" FA Cup now. (Progress I suppose! Sad. Use left and right arrows to navigate.)

Interesting point about colours Bakers; I was under the impression that in the Cup it was the home side who changed colours if there was a clash, when did that tradition change?

There's lots of reasons why the FA Cup has lost its romance. Your point is one of them. Semi finals at Wembley is another; no second or more replays is another; penalty shoot outs is another; the dominance of the Premier League leading to reserve teams being used in the FA Cup is another.

I don't argue that some of these things were not a necessity but I would agrue with anyone who thinks the FA Cup still has the magic that it once did.

I don't recall any tradition about colours along the lines you suggest. I think it was once the case that both teams had to change for FA Cup clashes unless the teams agreed otherwise. Anyway nowadays teams are encouraged to play in second and third strips even when they don't have to by the marketing boys looking to sell more strips. Another change that has devalued the once great game.

moulesy replied on 10/01/2016 18:23

Posted on 10/01/2016 18:23

Oxford beat Swansea today in the FA cup, well done to them. 

I'm hoping that might stop them concentrating on the league (at least until next Sunday!) Wink

ABM replied on 10/01/2016 23:09

Posted on 10/01/2016 23:09

Laughing  Surely  tho'  Moulesy,  you  really  want  to  out-play  them  when  they  are  at  their  best Wink

briantimber replied on 10/01/2016 23:22

Posted on 10/01/2016 23:22

Oxford beat Swansea today in the FA cup, well done to them. 

I'm hoping that might stop them concentrating on the league (at least until next Sunday!) Wink

Wonder who they're playing next Saturday ?.....Bristol... erm who... city or roversWink......Cool

moulesy replied on 11/01/2016 15:48

Posted on 11/01/2016 15:48

Laughing  Surely  tho'  Moulesy,  you  really  want  to  out-play  them  when  they  are  at  their  best Wink

I think we decided the cup wasn't a priority this season Brian, and let the erm mighty Chesham United (National League South!) outplay us in round 1. I really don't mind if Oxford want to concentrated on a good cup run for the next week or so! Laughing

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook