Who invented the electric toaster?

Cornersteady replied on 19/11/2022 12:50

Posted on 19/11/2022 12:50

I'm sure if I asked this question just a short time ago many like me would have answered Alan MacMasters in 1893 or would have searched the internet. Indeed even the Bank of England had him shortlisted for one of their banknotes.

But it's all been a hoax! Alan MacMasters is still alive and aged only 30. apparently in 2012 the real Alan MacMasters as a joke made a Wiki entry and it was never discovered till just recently started by a Kent schoolboy. I just love this!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/the-reporters-63622746

Inventor who never was

Until recently, if you had searched for "Alan MacMasters" on Wikipedia, you would have found the same article that Adam did.

And who would have doubted it?
After all, like most Wikipedia articles, this one was peppered with references: news articles, books and websites that supposedly provided evidence of MacMasters' life and legacy. As a result, lots of people accepted that MacMasters had been real.

More than a dozen books, published in various languages, named him as the inventor of the toaster. And, until recently, even the Scottish government's Brand Scotland website listed the electric toaster as an example of the nation's "innovative and inventive spirit".

Tinwheeler replied on 19/11/2022 13:06

Posted on 19/11/2022 13:06

I was reading that earlier, Corners. It proves the old saying about not believing all you read online. I find Wiki very useful but always keep an open mind.

Takethedogalong replied on 20/11/2022 09:54

Posted on 20/11/2022 09:54

Very interesting little article Corners😁 I am pleased they included the bit at the bottom about the first (allegedly🤣) electric toaster! 

Cornersteady replied on 20/11/2022 17:07

Posted on 20/11/2022 09:54 by Takethedogalong

Very interesting little article Corners😁 I am pleased they included the bit at the bottom about the first (allegedly🤣) electric toaster! 

Posted on 20/11/2022 17:07

Yes an amazing story. I'm just writing one for Wiki about Cornelius T Eady who in 1921 invented the cornersteady.

Takethedogalong replied on 20/11/2022 17:40

Posted on 20/11/2022 17:40

What made me laugh was the bored lad in his lessons uncovering the secret🤣 Never underestimate a child on a mission! It might not be the mission you are teaching…..but…..🤣

Reminds me of my Music lessons at school. I was utterly useless and uninterested in Music, but I was damn good at all sorts of Sports. So I went into our (next to sports field Music room), exited by the window, and did an extra PE lesson🤣 My mission was to become a PE teacher👍😁

nelliethehooker replied on 20/11/2022 20:39

Posted on 20/11/2022 20:39

I read the article with interest, Corners. Just goes to show how much "fake news" is out there and is taken as fact.

ABM replied on 28/11/2022 22:02

Posted on 20/11/2022 17:07 by Cornersteady

Yes an amazing story. I'm just writing one for Wiki about Cornelius T Eady who in 1921 invented the cornersteady.

Posted on 28/11/2022 22:02

Blimey, are you really One Hundred + years old  matey  surprised  ?? 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook