Whiffs and Pongs!

Takethedogalong replied on 07/04/2019 12:59

Posted on 07/04/2019 12:59

Amusing little report on BBC website about the different odours that strike in lots of places around UK. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-47088784

Its something we notice when touring around, especially if it’s somewhere we haven’t visited before. I can recall pulling MH up in Carlisle, close to centre, and when we stepped out, the place had a lovely sweet aroma, that we couldn’t place at first........then penny dropped, coconut. It was the Biscuit Factory, on Nice day. Locally, in past times Sheffield always had a strong odour of hops from Wards Brewery, and a certain area of another town had a salty, spicy tang. That was the big peanut and crisp production factory!

This time of year is always ripe when passing through rural areas as well, and we had to rapidly close all windows on MH driving through Dales, it was muck spreading day, and I don’t think it was animal based, more like human sewage, absolutely foul....

Any other whiffy places spring to mind, nice or noxious?😁

DavidKlyne replied on 07/04/2019 13:54

Posted on 07/04/2019 13:54

When we first moved to MK we used to get the smell of the brick works all around us in Bedfordshire and North Buckinghamshire. They are now long gone so fortunately no pong!

David

JillwithaJay replied on 07/04/2019 13:55

Posted on 07/04/2019 13:55

I grew up in Blackpool and can well remember the familiar aromas of the area around Layton. 

There was the Symbol Biscuit Factory at the corner of Devonshire Road and Mansfield Road: You always knew what they were making. 

Then there was the Catterall & Swarbrick Brewery on Talbot Road which always had the smell of hops wafting on the breeze. 

Not quite so pleasant was the abattoir, just off Talbot Road.

Back up to today, I love the aroma of the chocolate from the factory just down the road when staying at Lady Margaret's Park.

Metheven replied on 07/04/2019 13:59

Posted on 07/04/2019 13:59

I can remember the Cocoa Mill in Hull, the pleasing aroma was quite widespread but unfortunately closed a few years back.

brue replied on 07/04/2019 14:12

Posted on 07/04/2019 14:12

I remember the brewing smells in Burton on Trent and also Edinburgh, not unpleasant but quite strong as they wafted over everywhere.

In Birmingham where we had family the chemical works and the smell of coal tar and sulphur hung in the air. It was supposed to clear your lungs! wink

Locally we have slurry, it's sprayed onto a nearby field whilst the cows are still inside. It's very strong and when the wind's in the wrong direction gets into our house, hair and clothes!

Oh and also the fertiliser as the potatoes go in, country smells!

Cherokee2015 replied on 07/04/2019 15:40

Posted on 07/04/2019 13:59 by Metheven

I can remember the Cocoa Mill in Hull, the pleasing aroma was quite widespread but unfortunately closed a few years back.

Posted on 07/04/2019 15:40

Used to live in Stoneferry.  Alternative smells between the cocoa factory and Cargills fertiliser factory next door!    

Wherenext replied on 07/04/2019 15:46

Posted on 07/04/2019 15:46

Whenever we walk through Southwold we have the dual smells of Adnams Brewery and the Brine of the Sea.

Dislike the smell from the Chocolate factory that pervades the Chirk CAMC site

If the wind is in the wrong direction we get the smells coming from the Shell Refinery at Stanlow near the Chester site.

replied on 07/04/2019 15:55

Posted on 07/04/2019 15:55

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

HelenandTrevor replied on 07/04/2019 15:56

Posted on 07/04/2019 15:56

We have a large bakery, a coffee factory and a chocolate factory, the smells that waft around the town can range from being quite pleasant to awful if they have burnt the coffee when roasting laughing

Milothedog replied on 07/04/2019 16:00

Posted on 07/04/2019 16:00

Up until a few years back there was the Paynes Poppet factory in Purely near Croydon. a very pleasant experience was to be had driving past with the windows open.  

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook