Where do you go in the winter?

Skar1962 replied on 06/06/2017 16:56

Posted on 06/06/2017 16:56

Hi all,

Looking for some inspiration....not necessarily to do with touring.

Every winter, either at the end of November or sometime in February, me and my lovely OH fly off to the Canaries for some much needed winter sun.

Do you take your caravan or motorhome to southern locations between November and March to avoid the cold? If so, where do you go and what type of weather do you normally experience?

if you lock up your beloved mobile home from home, where do you jet off to other then the Canary Islands and what type of weather do you experience?

Are destinations such as Southern Spain, Italy, Malta, Cyprus, Greece and the like suitable winter sun destinations or have you tried them and found that temperatures rarely get above 17 degrees and you have to wrap up warm to enjoy sitting outside?

I am just trying some ideas and alternatives to the Canaries for the end of this year or early next year.

Thanking you in advance for your input....

Bakers2 replied on 06/06/2017 17:06

Posted on 06/06/2017 17:06

We have a daughter who lives in New Zealand so we try to get down there as often as we can. Generally very decent weather but rather a long way. 

Last year we had 10 days in Thailand on the way over to celebrate a birthday. Absolutely beautiful, hot and sticky in Bangkok but a nature reserve island in the north bliss. Surprising reasonable considering the distance! Have done Singapore too but very hot and sticky certainly not cheap. 

Never managed the Canaries and economics suggest we won't . Maybe one day well do southern Europe in the motorhome in the winter but know it won't be as consistent as NZ 😉

moulesy replied on 06/06/2017 17:21

Posted on 06/06/2017 17:21

We gave ourselves an extra special treat this February with a trip to Mauritius! smile

At that time of year the weather is really warm (high 20s Celsius) without being oppressive and, although it's the tail end of the rainy season, the rain comes and goes and freshens everything up nicely. A very welcoming island, lots of interest beyond beaches and water sports. Can thoroughly recommend it for a special holiday.

Skar1962 replied on 06/06/2017 17:26

Posted on 06/06/2017 17:06 by Bakers2

We have a daughter who lives in New Zealand so we try to get down there as often as we can. Generally very decent weather but rather a long way. 

Last year we had 10 days in Thailand on the way over to celebrate a birthday. Absolutely beautiful, hot and sticky in Bangkok but a nature reserve island in the north bliss. Surprising reasonable considering the distance! Have done Singapore too but very hot and sticky certainly not cheap. 

Never managed the Canaries and economics suggest we won't . Maybe one day well do southern Europe in the motorhome in the winter but know it won't be as consistent as NZ 😉

Posted on 06/06/2017 17:26

Thanks.

i was thinking a shorter haul than the other side of the world (New Zealand) though! I will go one day as I have lots of friends there but it will be a special trip and not the winter 1-2 week getaway.

Thailand could be a possibility but still a bit of a jaunt though.

Bakers2 replied on 06/06/2017 17:42

Posted on 06/06/2017 17:26 by Skar1962

Thanks.

i was thinking a shorter haul than the other side of the world (New Zealand) though! I will go one day as I have lots of friends there but it will be a special trip and not the winter 1-2 week getaway.

Thailand could be a possibility but still a bit of a jaunt though.

Posted on 06/06/2017 17:42

Thailand just 12 hours give or take a little bit. If you're planning on NZ take as long as you can months not weeks. Plenty to see do and explore but distances very deceptive not just the minimum 26 hour flight!

I love the sound of moulesy trip. Maybe one day.

Vicmallows replied on 06/06/2017 18:57

Posted on 06/06/2017 18:57

Of the short-haul destinations, The Canaries have to be the most reliable for winter weather (though as I'm sure you know, choose your destination with regard to the prevailing NE wind!).  However, after a few long (6 week) trips we got a bit bored.

Weather on Malta is rather unpredictable.  It is though a love-it-or-hate-it destination. (I like it; wife hates it!).

Our ultimate compromise was Cyprus which we both love. We have stayed there now over Christmas on 6 occasions: each time for around 6 weeks in privately rented apartments. Weather has varied each time, but has always included plenty of sunbathing.  One year we were lounging in a nice warm sea on Christmas day. The most important thing IMHO is to make sure you choose an apartment with a nice big SOUTH facing terrace/patio.

Then we bought the caravan, and having tasted the south of Spain for nearly 4 months last winter, that will probably be our destination for the next few years.  Pleasantly warm and sunny most of the time, with only a very few miserable days .... with the occasional real thunder storm thrown in for fun.  T-shirts/shorts the entire time as far as I was concerned. The temperature was just starting to build (too hot for wife) as we were leaving mid-March.

huskydog replied on 06/06/2017 18:59

Posted on 06/06/2017 18:59

We do the opposite, in November and over the new year we head to the new Forrest , don't mind the cold surprised

JVB66 replied on 06/06/2017 19:04

Posted on 06/06/2017 19:04

We use our caravan all year round but as age related problems seem to be catching up more, we now winter stay in the uk, 

Vicmallows replied on 06/06/2017 19:14

Posted on 06/06/2017 18:59 by huskydog

We do the opposite, in November and over the new year we head to the new Forrest , don't mind the cold surprised

Posted on 06/06/2017 19:14

Have to agree .... Setthorns over Christmas is magical.  But we've also done our winter stints in upstate NY, and Munich so time to catch up on the warmth wink

eurortraveller replied on 06/06/2017 19:21

Posted on 06/06/2017 19:21

We have a son in Hong Kong, so for 20 winters it has been Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Laos, Bali, India, and Sri Lanka on the way to see him. And Australia and New Zealand when he was working there. All of it independent, bit-better-than-backpacking travel, and real sunshine. 

IanH replied on 06/06/2017 20:08

Posted on 06/06/2017 20:08

We've been to. Cyprus in January and had brilliant weather.......we've been in March and had rubbish weather. It's pot luck outside of about May to October.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook