What are you all up to

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:57

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:57

Got back from Fisher Field yesterday after a great weekend away.  Downside is van is filthy bit that will have to wait, more important jollities to enjoytongue-out House more or less decorated although not bothering with outside

DSB replied on 18/09/2024 21:44

Posted on 18/09/2024 19:35 by Bakers2

Good to read of folks news, travels and see photos. 

Still no baby news yet but with great timing grandson, aged 3.5, broke his arm yesterday. Well more precisely a crack on the pointy bit of elbow bone. Happened at nursery, boy being a boy...... He has had a good day a nursery, but seems not to have learnt - got told off a couple of times for climbing sealed

Had to take Dora to the vet 🫣 as she's been scratching and rubbing her ear. Both a bit red and inflamed but no seeds thankfully. 

Been a lovely day here but not until after 2pm, but cooling down quickly with a brisk breeze at times. 

Posted on 18/09/2024 21:44

I was just wondering yesterday if you had any 'news', Bakers2.  Sorry to read about your grandsons arm - hope he'll make a quick recovery.  Our Son-in-Law is a climber and they seem to be actively encouraging our grandson Euan to climb.

David

MikeyA replied on 19/09/2024 11:36

Posted on 19/09/2024 11:36

KjellNN -  We tend to visit the Lake District in Winter when the area is quieter and the prices more reasonable. As we are last minute bookers we are able to go when the weather forecast is good.

We have stayed on the  CCC Windermere twice, it is very nice but unfortunately not near anywhere thus requiring the use of the car. CCC Kendal we haven't stayed on simply because it closes for the Winter. 

Our favourite site in the area is the CCC site at Bowness on Winderemere, newly refurbished, a few mins walk to the water and the ferry (especially if you use the gate by the dog walk). Easy scenic walk into the town and the bus stops. One of the reasons we like it so much is we can catch a bus to so many places ( free to us English!!).

In my opinion, together with CCC Keswick, the best Club sites in the Lake District 

Wherenext replied on 19/09/2024 17:35

Posted on 19/09/2024 17:35

DEBSC - Thanks for taking the time to recommend somewhere to eat. Unfortunately I've only just read it and we're off home tomorrow.frown We passed through Raskelf and the pub en route to Harlow on Monday. Will bear it in mind for the next time we're in the area, which, fingers crossed, I'm pretty sure we will be.

MiL in need of a quiet day today after the accumulative effects of the previous days so we headed up to Ampleforth Abbey, an actual still in use Abbey (you know the one with Monks). Lovely place and very peaceful in the morning sunshine. They have a very large Orchard complex and make their very own cider. MiL has never liked apples yet her Stroke has left her with a changed palette and she ate half an apple this last week, so for the first time in her 91 years she had a small glass of cider with lunch and finished it, pronouncing nice and light and refreshing. So you can "teach an old dog new tricks." I know I lost my taste after my own Stroke 2 years ago but it came back unchanged after about 3 months.

DEBSC replied on 19/09/2024 18:20

Posted on 19/09/2024 18:20

Visited NT Packwood House and Clinton Baddesley yesterday, just had a wander round the grounds as we have been many times before. We were supposed to be going out with our friends this evening but their dog is very unwell and they don’t want to leave her, we decided not to go on our own and, to be honest, I’m quite looking forward to the new James Herriot programme this evening.

We visited the church in the little village where my Aunt and Uncle lived and where I used to stay a lot over many years. On visiting their graves there I found that now very many of the villagers that I had known since I was young are now in the church grave yard, it’s like most of the village people I knew have moved there. Very sobering and a jolt with so many memories, but kind of nice they are all still together. A lot of them were farmers and farm workers, now most of the little cottages have been enlarged, the houses ‘done up’ the farm buildings made into holiday homes and one would have to be a millionaire to buy a property there now, so very different from when I was young, with a very different feel about the place. As I stood on the village green memories came flooding back, I could almost hear three little girls (my cousins and I) giggling and trotting on ponies along the village road.

We loved our visit in June to North Yorkshire Werenext, we would love to return there, it’s just a long way for us to travel. Have enjoyed reading of your visits to places there.

Francis replied on 19/09/2024 19:04

Posted on 19/09/2024 19:04

Excellent day today I was up early and away on lovely 12 mile cycle lots to see in this area when out cycling. Back to the van for a coffee and the sun had come out so we took a walk in to Berwick weather great very warm and after a walk right around the walls we got a table in a lovely little beer garden to enjoy a pint. Walk back to the van and cooked burgers on the Cadac we had got them from the butchers in the town and they were lovely. Site now very busy. We are just glad to be away as we had a lot on during august so only managed one weekend away in the van in that time. Not sure of plan for tomorrow but hoping their sun lasts.

heddlo replied on 19/09/2024 19:27

Posted on 19/09/2024 19:27

We had a beautiful day at Newby Hall today.  Even though it’s very end of season it was still lovely to walk around on a day like today.  I had a ride on the little train whilst OH went on a tour of the house which he really enjoyed. 

Your day down memory lane sounds good DEBSC, a bit of nostalgia is a great thing and always good to remember people.  

We have to agree with you MickeyA about the Lake District late in the year.  We have a cottage booked early November.  We went a few years ago in November and it was amazing.  It was quiet, gorgeous reflections in the still lakes, and you could move around so easily.  We are just hoping this November we don’t get a Storm Delilah or something!!! 

nelliethehooker replied on 19/09/2024 21:52

Posted on 19/09/2024 21:52

Glad that those that have been out and about today have had a fine time some lovely photos.

We rose early to a fine sunny day and were on the road by 9:00, and a temperature of 15C. We had a scenic drive through mid Wales and c!imbing over to Llangurig it clouded up and the temperature dropped to 11C . Thankfully the sky cleared as we came into England and by time we got to our chosen CL it had risen to 22C! The problem with the skylight has not developed much and with a favourable forecast for the next coup!e of days we have decided to have an second night here before returning home, via the dealers.

Have a safe journey home, WN, and enjoy your stay at Brewick, Francis. I hold the weather stays fine for all that are away.

KjellNN replied on 19/09/2024 22:21

Posted on 19/09/2024 11:36 by MikeyA

KjellNN -  We tend to visit the Lake District in Winter when the area is quieter and the prices more reasonable. As we are last minute bookers we are able to go when the weather forecast is good.

We have stayed on the  CCC Windermere twice, it is very nice but unfortunately not near anywhere thus requiring the use of the car. CCC Kendal we haven't stayed on simply because it closes for the Winter. 

Our favourite site in the area is the CCC site at Bowness on Winderemere, newly refurbished, a few mins walk to the water and the ferry (especially if you use the gate by the dog walk). Easy scenic walk into the town and the bus stops. One of the reasons we like it so much is we can catch a bus to so many places ( free to us English!!).

In my opinion, together with CCC Keswick, the best Club sites in the Lake District 

Posted on 19/09/2024 22:21

We have been at the Bowness site when it was a CAMC site, and been to the CCC Derwentwater, which we liked.  

Have used CCC Kendal twice before, so have booked that, reckoned the so called Windermere site is not so good for us.  

Kendal suits where we want to  visit, but we will miss the serviced pitches at Spital.

Lovely day here in Glasgow, warm and very sunny.  Took my scaffold tower down to DD’s to start installing her newly acquired Velux openers and blinds, all solar power.  It has taken over 2 years for them to be available.

Will need to continue tomorrow, weather permitting,  may even need Saturday.

SIL has just had his 40th, so a small party at his  parent’s house on Saturday evening.

DD has had a good offer on her west end flat, so she will accept that very soon.   Will be glad once it is all finalised!

Takethedogalong replied on 19/09/2024 22:29

Posted on 19/09/2024 22:29

Glad to see weather is still nice in places😁 Afternoon out for us, took MH for a run, with bikes and had a picnic and then a cycle around Clumber Park.

Bakers2 replied on 20/09/2024 06:49

Posted on 20/09/2024 06:49

Nelliethehooker delighted to read your temporary repair for the skylight is holding well and you are able to have an extra night. I do hope the dealers can fix the issue quickly and travelling isn't curtailed for long.

Sounds like others are having good days out and about in very nice weather. I'm very jealous of the blue skies and sun. Its been very grey here and a cool breeze with very ocassional sun glimpses of sun despite the forecast. Today's forecast says cloudy...... Just routine stuff here.

We have an overnight guest tonight on their way north, it will be nice to have a catch up. Grandson is 'prebooked' for overnight Saturday as our son had signed up for a run in Cambridge. Even he admitted his brain wasn't engaged! I know he's cancelled it now as we still await Tiny's arrival. Even if Tiny had arrived on the due date it would be 10 days.......... Its likely grandson will come to stay after he's been to his party on Saturday anyway. 

KjellNN I hope your daughter's flat sale goes smoothly and you can sit back for a bit before your holiday.

DEBSC sounds like a very thought provoking day. 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook